 CAD / Development / 4194
Re: More MPD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 16:29:58 GMT

I think this goes back to the discussion (from last week, I think) about
the MPD format, and if it does everything needed, and if there should be
changes to it, or a new file format.  To handle nested files, and
sub-mpd files, I'd go for a new format.

This hypothetical format would be targeted to containing single models
made of multiple nested components.  The sub-components within a file
would be private to that file.  A model could also be made of several
multi-component files working together.

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing wrote:

1. Are the files in an MPD public or private?

I don't *know* for sure, but I'd be willing to wager a small amount of
money that they aren't.

If someone develops a new file-spec, add an option so an multi-component
file could be referenced as either public or private, to allow libraries
of files to be developed.

2. I suggest BuildMpd and M-Peedy should be able to handle MPD's too
as input files, and SplitMPD and M-Peedy should be able to split an MPD
correctly into the original files, both MPD and DAT.

Do you mean, the builders should be able to stuff an MPD into another
MPD?  This would definitely require a spec-change, either an endofdat
delimiter, or a file.subfile notation on the 0 FILE command.

3. Can I generally use the NOFILE meta command to skip the rest of the file,
i.e. also for ordinary DAT files?

No.  Well, you could use it, but I'd expect programs would either ignore
it, or report a syntax error.

Should it be renamed to EOF/ENDOFFILE?

I'd prefer 0 FILE END, to match LDLite syntax for nested commands.
Which would mean we couldn't empeedy a file named END., but I think
that's a minor inconvenience.

Steve