 CAD / Development / 4189
Re: More MPD
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Wed, 22 Mar 2000 03:09:07 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Lars C. Hassing writes:
1. Are the files in an MPD public or private?
Consider this example with three files:

town.dat
1 16 -40 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1 house1.mpd
1 16  40 0 0  1 0 0  0 1 0  0 0 1 house2.mpd

house1.mpd
0 FILE house1.dat
1 4 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3003.DAT
1 4 0 -24 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 roof.dat
0 FILE roof.dat
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3043.DAT

house2.mpd
0 FILE house2.dat
1 2 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3003.DAT
1 2 0 -8 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 roof.dat
0 FILE roof.dat
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 3068.DAT

For this to work as expected, "local files" in an MPD must be private,
and cannot be referenced by other "real files".

2. I suggest BuildMpd and M-Peedy should be able to handle MPD's too
as input files, and SplitMPD and M-Peedy should be able to split an MPD
correctly into the original files, both MPD and DAT.
You can use the town.dat above for test ;-)

3. Can I generally use the NOFILE meta command to skip the rest of the file,
i.e. also for ordinary DAT files?
Should it be renamed to EOF/ENDOFFILE?
/Lars

This seems similar to the recursive MPD problem.  At least with the lich.dat
example the files weren't really recursive.  It was just a matter of
the ring2.dat file in the local MPD scope supplanting the ring2.dat from the
global parts/primitives scope.

Perhaps when parsing we should (internally to the program) tack the name of
the MPD file onto the name of the subfile to keep the scope local.  This way
we could tell house1.mpd.roof.dat apart from house2.mpd.roof.dat.  Also
lich.mpd.ring2.dat is now different from p/ring2.dat

Of course this falls into the you implement it and I merely port it category
so feel free to tear this idea apart. :^)

Don