 CAD / Development / 10689
Re: Introducing Lic - Lego Instruction Creator (pre-alpha)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dev
Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2007 02:18:17 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dev, Remi Gagne wrote:

Hi Kevin,

I was hoping to hear from you! Yep, I knew you were working on a WYSIWYG LPub - you’ve mentioned the idea here in the past. I just had no idea how far along you were, or if you had even started. I tried contacting you a handful of times through June/July, asking about the status of a WYSIWYG LPub and offering any assistance I could. But for whatever reason I didn’t hear back, so I started up on my own with Lic.

I don’t think it makes much sense to have two big applications that do basically the same thing in a community the size of LDraw’s. I’d be honoured and delighted to help with the new LPub in any way I can, if you’ll have it. It doesn’t matter to me where the app comes from, I’m just *very* keen on seeing a full-blown instruciton editor. ;)

Check your email!

Regards,

Remi

Hi Remi,

I got your email today. I don’t know why I didn’t notice or respond to the previous emails.

WYSIWIG LPub (4.0) is moderatly far along. I started on it shortly after returning from Brickfest PDX in Portland. You use the GUI to get the affect you want, and LPub adds/modifies/deletes meta commands inside the LDraw file.

If you want to have multiple steps per page, you simply pull down the pop up menu item “Add Step”. You can use it as many times as you want (as much room as your page has. If you want to add a divider, you place your cursor over a step assembly image, and use the “Add Divider” menu, and poof, you get a divider after the you worked with. Divider color, thickness are editable.

You can pick up callouts and slide them around the page. You can click on pointers (the arrow like things from callouts to step images), and move the tip around by dragging the mouse. You can grasp the base of the pointer (at the callout end) and move the base from side, to corner to side, all the way around the callout if you’d like. You cannot add/delete steps in a callout, but you can shape and form things using dividers. You can switch multi-step and callouts from horizontal to vertical and back using menus. You can grab and slide multi-step conglomerations.

You can be looking at the page(s) of a sub-model and use the “Convert to Callout” menu, and poof, a callout is created on the page where that sub-model is used.

You can bring in arbitrary images and place them on the page. Page numbers toggle from side to side (and you get to decide where the page number is on the first page). All the font sizes/color/types are editable. Backgrounds are editable. Borders are editable..... It is really quite far along.

I’ve struggled a bit in getting a pointer added via GUI, and then my laptop power connector broke (HP’s have a tendency to do that).

I also don’t have a great way to work with cover sheets, or BOM’s but between the two of us, I’m sure we can come up with some handy things for that.

Minimally getting pointer addition working, and then testing/fixing would be sufficient progress for me to want to give people a first look.

I have a few sort of “boring” things, like putting together an install package, and getting things built for multiple targets. I really want it available on all targets (Solaris?), especially the Mac, and then Linux.

Sound like fun? I was trying to fly under the radar with the project, until I got things working, but “real life” has gotten in the way of LEGO. You Lic announcement motivated me to get out of stealth mode.

Kevin