 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / Primitives / *499 (-10)
Re: Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 17 Nov 2009 03:42:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Mark Kennedy wrote:

A cylinder with one closed end (4-4cylc.dat) was issued in the latest parts
update (2009-02). See http://www.ldraw.org/library/primref/#curv3d .
If there is a need for a 1-4cylc.dat, feel free to submit it to the Parts
Tracker.

However, I'm struggling to see the utility of a cylinder with both ends open.
Can someone provide an example of where it might be useful.

Chris Dee
Here is a list I compiled of many parts that could make use of a cylinder that's
open at both ends. There may be more.

6029A
3957
104
2569
30322
30209
3062B
33286
43888
4740
3960s01
3961s01
6942
75535
6177s01
30148
4360
4341
70501
529
6260
3878

Re: Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 22:43:44 GMT

A cylinder with one closed end (4-4cylc.dat) was issued in the latest parts
update (2009-02). See http://www.ldraw.org/library/primref/#curv3d .
If there is a need for a 1-4cylc.dat, feel free to submit it to the Parts
Tracker.

However, I'm struggling to see the utility of a cylinder with both ends open.
Can someone provide an example of where it might be useful.

Chris Dee

This type of primitive would mostly be used in places where a cylinder appears
between two other objects. One example would be the subpart at:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/s/636s1.dat
which currently uses 4-4cylc.dat where a 4-4cylo.dat (cylinder with edges open
at both ends) would be better.

Re: Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 18:55:21 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Chris Dee wrote:
However, I'm struggling to see the utility of a cylinder with both ends open.
Can someone provide an example of where it might be useful.

Chris Dee

Guess I replied way too soon. I may revise my earlier reply after giving it some
more thought. A 1/4 cylinder with both ends closed would of course be better for
rounded cornerns.

A cylinder with both ends open could be useful when making pipe-like shapes in
the likeness of stud2 and stud4, and holes. Don't know yet how commonly needed
they would be.

The question is: How common should a combined primitive have to be before it is
motivated to issue a .dat file for it? Guess it also depends on how many lines
can be saved and how hard it is to calculate and write by hand...

/T

Re: Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 3 Nov 2009 08:32:04 GMT

A cylinder with one closed end (4-4cylc.dat) was issued in the latest parts
update (2009-02). See http://www.ldraw.org/library/primref/#curv3d .
If there is a need for a 1-4cylc.dat, feel free to submit it to the Parts
Tracker.

4-4 and 2-4 cylc are released, 1-4 and 3-4cylc are already on PT.

However, I'm struggling to see the utility of a cylinder with both ends open.
Can someone provide an example of where it might be useful.
I think the usefulness is quite low indeed.

Philo

Re: Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 22:34:32 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Tore Eriksson wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Travis Cobbs wrote:
In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Mark Kennedy wrote:
Is there any demand for this type of cylinder primitive that's open at both
ends?

Not being a part author, I can't comment on the utility, but to me the naming is
confusing.  The base cylinder primitives are already open at both ends; they
just don't have edges there.  So to me, cyle would make more since in the
filename, and "Cylinder with edges" in the description.

--Travis

Naming is not an important issue to me. Either name would be fine for me. The
one important thing for me is that it doesn't mess up with renderers and
utilities that make primitive substitutions. But I don't see that there should
be any risk for that.

But I sure have missed this combination, and also a "stud 1x1 w/o logo", ie a
cylinder with one closed end, preferably the one at the y=1 end. I think 4/4 and
1/4 versions would be the ones of most use. 4/4 for many purposes, also holes,
and 1/4 for rounded corners.

So I suggest these four new primitives:
1/4 cylinder open with egdes
1/4 cylinder open with egdes and one disc
4/4 cylinder open with egdes
4/4 cylinder open with egdes and one disc

When it comes to naming and descriptions, I have no opinion.

/Tore

A cylinder with one closed end (4-4cylc.dat) was issued in the latest parts
update (2009-02). See http://www.ldraw.org/library/primref/#curv3d .
If there is a need for a 1-4cylc.dat, feel free to submit it to the Parts
Tracker.

However, I'm struggling to see the utility of a cylinder with both ends open.
Can someone provide an example of where it might be useful.

Chris Dee

Re: Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 21:59:12 GMT

[...]

Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Mon, 2 Nov 2009 16:46:40 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Mark Kennedy wrote:
Is there any demand for this type of cylinder primitive that's open at both
ends?

Not being a part author, I can't comment on the utility, but to me the naming is
confusing.  The base cylinder primitives are already open at both ends; they
just don't have edges there.  So to me, cyle would make more since in the
filename, and "Cylinder with edges" in the description.

--Travis

Special:
[DAT] (requires LDraw-compatible viewer)
Subject:
Open cylinder primitives, any demand?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Sun, 1 Nov 2009 20:54:19 GMT

Is there any demand for this type of cylinder primitive that's open at both
ends?

0 Cylinder open  1.0
0 Name: 4-4cylo.dat
0 Author: Mark Kennedy [mkennedy]
0 !LDRAW_ORG Unofficial_Primitive
0 !LICENSE Redistributable under CCAL version 2.0 : see CAreadme.txt

0 BFC CERTIFY CCW

1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0 1 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4-4edge.dat
1 16 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 0 0 0 1 4-4cyli.dat
0

Re: 11-16 primitives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:45:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss wrote:
Sorry to follow-up my own post, but I did a quick test on MLCAD.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss wrote:
Of course, if further MLCAD tests shows that it works with a fixed-format 25
char filename column, then there's less reason to go with the ragged format.

I had a DUH! moment after posting the previous message.  If MLCAD can use a
ragged format file, of course it can use a fixed-25 format file.  DOH.

So it would be nice to be able to produce a PARTS.LST with full descriptions if
rigid conformance to 80-byte records is not needed.

I prepared a PARTS.LST file with data lines longer and shorter than 80
bytes, and MLCAD seemed perfectly happy to use the data as presented.
In particular, it could handle longer descriptions without truncating
them (I didn't test to see if it had some longer limit).

In the mklist beta I posted there's an undocumented -r switch to turn
off the ragged edges and make room for 25 char filenames.  There's also
an undocumented -t to twiddle with the 78 vs 80 character line formats.
But there's nothing yet for allowing descriptions longer than 64 chars.
We can add lots of options, but we also need to decide on the default
output format.  And I suspect that should probably target whatever works
best for MLCAD users.  Any newer programs currently in development can
create their own mklist type functions.

The -8 setting should produce 8.3 filenames and 80 character lines
(including the <CR><LF>) compatible with any older software out there.

Don

Re: 11-16 primitives?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives
Date:
Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:02:05 GMT

Sorry to follow-up my own post, but I did a quick test on MLCAD.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts.primitives, Steve Bliss wrote:
Of course, if further MLCAD tests shows that it works with a fixed-format 25
char filename column, then there's less reason to go with the ragged format.

I had a DUH! moment after posting the previous message.  If MLCAD can use a
ragged format file, of course it can use a fixed-25 format file.  DOH.

So it would be nice to be able to produce a PARTS.LST with full descriptions if
rigid conformance to 80-byte records is not needed.

I prepared a PARTS.LST file with data lines longer and shorter than 80 bytes,
and MLCAD seemed perfectly happy to use the data as presented.  In particular,
it could handle longer descriptions without truncating them (I didn't test to
see if it had some longer limit).

Steve

Redisplay Messages:  Brief | Compact