 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6627
Patterns: Outline or no outline?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 14 Mar 2011 04:23:44 GMT

Since my last three patterned parts have gone over well I've been working on two
more:

http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973pb528c01
http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=3678bpb15

I'm running into a design problem with these parts that I haven't had with the
others. As you see those two parts only come in black.

What I wasn't sure about was whether I should use actual black for some of the
interior details, and if so whether the lack of a matching outline would be an
issue and I should do an outline in black as well, letting the part color proper
show up outside of that. Or, should I just do all the black sections in the main
color, or all in black? (I realize just sticking with all color 16 or all true
black would make a smaller part file.)

I looked at other patterned torsos that only come in black and found some mixed
results. The classic Blacktron torso (973p52) does everything in the main color,
and this is a fairly common way of doing things. But then there are exceptions
like 973p74 (http://www.bricklink.com/catalogItem.asp?P=973px67c01) where a
couple of sections like the zipper outline and the neckline have been explicitly
done in black, and the part itself always comes in black just like the ones I'm
working on now. So there isn't enough consistency for me to be sure here, and
for all I know no one has really come up with a standard on this.

Which way is right? Is there a best practice for this?