 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6572
Re: Advice on hair pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 22 Sep 2010 12:02:26 GMT

I'm still plowing ahead with upgrading Edger regardless because I'd like that
built into this tool, but options like making inlining parts optional and not
adding conditional lines within a certain angle tolerance are great ideas. Also
I suppose it should look out for lines that are totally out of place, which it
looks like Edger2 does.
Not sure what you mean - it doesn't check if a line has its ends properly ending
on a surface vertex.
(loosely related) I have a pending update for edger2 that check if the angle of
existing condlines matches angle between surfaces. If the condline angle is
flatter Edger2 creates a new condline that matches the surfaces angle. This is
intended to properly create condlines at the edge of primitives (eg. sphere
matching a shrinking cone, such as in this part:
http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/u9029.dat

Yeah, I remember reading about that scanner and deciding it wouldn't help much
for most part modeling as it doesn't necessarily have good resolution.
Resolution is quite good... but of course it would be silly to use that for a
mainly geometric part!
With
scanned parts though I imagine it's hard to tell how to simplify your meshes
adequately.
I use two tools for that. First is Sculptris (http://www.sculptris.com/,
download here:
http://download.pixologic01.com/download.php?f=Sculptris/sculptris.zip), that
allows to sculpt a mesh. The main use is to sharpen the edges where needed
(plastic has always some rounding, and scan adds to that). With a sharp angle,
mesh reduction will create a triangle edge there, and you then may add a fixed
edge line. The other tool is Meshlab (http://meshlab.sourceforge.net/), used to
reduce the size of triangle mesh. After scanning and Sculptris tuning of a
Fabuland head I end up with a +/-200k triangle mesh. Using Meshlab decimation
filter, I reduce this to 3-4k triangles before conversion to LDraw. Sometimes I
do that in two steps, eg. for Dobby's head
(http://www.ldraw.org/cgi-bin/ptdetail.cgi?f=parts/43745.dat). A direct
reduction to 3-4k triangles lost too much details, especially in the eyes area.
So I first reduced to about 12k triangles, selected the areas I wished to
preserve, then reduced again the rest of the mesh.

Philo