 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6563
6562  |  6564
Subject:
Advice on hair pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 17:07:48 GMT

I've moved on to looking at part 62696, "Minifig Hair Ponytail with Long Bangs"
(x1930 on Peeron), and I found the part needs a lot of cleanup. (So does 30475,
which surprisingly has received no cleanup at all desipte its submission to the
tracker.) I turned the hair around because it faced the wrong way, and changed
the origin slightly because it was in a weird place. There are a lot of coplanar
quads, which I believe are not the fault of the original design but rather of
the stl2dat converter's bizarre use of 4 significant figures instead of strictly
going out to 4 decimal places, which has introduced a number of rounding errors.
To my knowledge getting the original file and re-converting isn't feasible, so
I'm looking into what it will take to write a utility that tries to adjust the
vertices to restore coplanarity.

However, the biggest problem I've run into is something I'll need some advice
with. In the part, the interior of the hair piece is 25 LDU in diameter. This is
a problem because the minifig head is 26 LDU in width. Scaling this up by a
factor of 1.04 is not an option because by my measurements, the exterior of the
part seems correct; the height is 61.94 LDU, which translates to roughly 24.77mm
give or take a bit; that agrees with my measurement of slightly over 24.5. So
scaling up would add roughly another mm to the height which is wrong.

Since this is my first cleanup of a hair piece, I'm not sure what best practice
would be. My instinct says to push out the interior vertices by a 0.5 radius
from center so that collision with the head is impossible. Is this the best
approach, or is there something other part authors have done as more standard
practice?

Also on this part I noticed the interior of the real piece has a sort of split
ring, slightly raised, around the stud hole, and this in turn means I'd probably
also have to raise up the interior top of the piece by 1 LDU. I assume accuracy
in this section is not considered so important that I need to replicate the
split ring and can use regular ring, edge, and cylinder primitives, but feedback
on this would be appreciated.