 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 6570
Re: Advice on hair pieces
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Tue, 21 Sep 2010 20:06:49 GMT

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Philippe Hurbain wrote:
I am short of time at the moment for a more detailed answer, but are you aware
of Edger2? (http://www.philohome.com/isecalc/edger2.htm). The code is a mess,
but it does a pretty good job...

Ah, I was not. Very interesting.

I'm still plowing ahead with upgrading Edger regardless because I'd like that
built into this tool, but options like making inlining parts optional and not
adding conditional lines within a certain angle tolerance are great ideas. Also
I suppose it should look out for lines that are totally out of place, which it
looks like Edger2 does.

The quad adjustment for this piece showed that out of five quads out of
alignment, it was able to fix four of them within the bounds of round-off error
(that is, it didn't deviate the vertices from outside of what they could have
been before stl2dat rounded them off). The fifth one it was not able to
reconcile under any circumstances, so I made the tool split those cases along
the edge where the angle between the two triangles would be smallest.

It would be interesting to have a configurable threshold, a 0.1ldu move is not
visible and might bring more quads to flat state.

That's an excellent point. With these pieces I think 0.1 LDU could perhaps be
noticeable, but configuring a minimum allowed displacement of even 0.005 LDU
would probably go a long way since some of the dimensions of the vertices are
locked to the full 4 digits already, and some are locked at 3.

There is a special policy for LUT parts: "Once the part has been submitted to
the Parts Tracker, any reviewer finding errors may fix them immediately and
re-submit the fix without asking permission, since the original author is the
LEGO Universe Team." (see http://www.ldraw.org/Article490.html)

Ah, excellent. I'll keep that in mind then. I may not mess with that file at all
since I can probably contribute new material, but it's helpful to know.

I can't tell you how many times I've wished I had your scanner, but I have no
head for mechanics. Some parts just haven't been released to us yet, like the
still-mysterious x79.
The good point is that DAVID laser scanner (http://www.david-laserscanner.com/)
doesn't even require mechanics, and the free version is truly usable. I made my
first scan (Fabuland bear head) with it and a hand-held cheap line laser. That
said, it works better with some mechanical sweep (but a simple mechanical
kitchen timer is reported to work well!) and the paid version (better
resolution, easier assembly)

Yeah, I remember reading about that scanner and deciding it wouldn't help much
for most part modeling as it doesn't necessarily have good resolution. With
scanned parts though I imagine it's hard to tell how to simplify your meshes
adequately.

And BTW x79 is actually part 4505... It would be a good target for a laser scan
(but I don't have it!)

Interesting. Even Bricklink isn't aware yet (AFAIK) of the official part number,
and still goes by Peeron's. I suspect TLG hasn't released this part in their
batches because with the exception of the incredible set 10193, I don't think
it's been used in a long time. (Which reminds me, I'd like to see some of the
patterned parts from that set become available.) Several years ago I was working
on a tool as an add-on to LDDP that would help me model this part by creating
curves with an expression evaluator, but I didn't get that far with it. I found
out the hard way that debugging LDDP add-ons isn't worth the hassle.