 CAD / LDraw Files / Parts / 5337
Re: Color scheme in Brick 1 x 6 x 5 with Rocket Launch Pattern?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Mon, 12 Jul 2004 13:58:14 GMT

   In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Willy Tschager wrote:
   up to now we have two samples of this part:

Ok, which looks “right”? This:

or this:

C’mon. It’s classic space, not Power Rangers (or Knights Kingdom). There are no light blue spacemen or spaceships in classic space. The moon is not made of bleu cheese. Look with the eyes of a 10 year old and tell me it’s not supposed to be white.

   I have the part, so I’ve been holding off commenting until I can look at it. But I lack patience, so... In my mind, I remember the part as having shades of white and grey on the questionable bits. Therefore the light blue just plain looks wrong to me. I do have the Tigura beast in front of me and it’s clearly printed with a large patch of white with a bit of the orange bleeding through from the plastic underneath. I’d model that as white, not light orange.

My guess is the extreme white you see in the picture is the same printing as the “blue-white”. It’s just brighter there because it overlaps the earlier grey printing pass. This misregistering of the printing passes will look different on every part and should not be represented in the model.

I disagree on the overlap. if this is really a misregistering of the printing passes the white border would have the same size in all areas, while the white line on the rocket is much wider than the one on the helmet or the craters.

So misregistering was a problem. Then perhaps the light grey was purposely overprinted a bit in some spots, not to create a whiter white, but to avoid ugly blue gaps between white and light grey due to printing errors. You can see a bit of what they were trying to avoid on the bottom right corner and the right side of the rocket on the 2nd scan.

   before I started designing the part I also considered this being an overlap (it would have saved a lot of time an effort just declare it as an error) but IMO there ARE white borders around the craters, minifig and the rest.

   I remember having a second version of this part I couldn’t use as a basis for the re-engeneering because of its REAL overlap. I’ll post a scan if I find it.

Yes, please do.

In lugnet.cad.dat.parts, Chris Dee wrote:
   I have now located my copy of this part. The areas you mention defintely have a feint blue coloration. I believe this is deliberate, as I can make out the regular pattern of screening dots. This is most obvious on the larger areas, but I believe it does carry over into the border of the main image and the numbers and borders at the top.

Did you flip the brick over and examine the texture? It’s not as rough as these slopes, but it has a similar effect. The finer texture simply makes for much finer blue spots.

We didn’t model the blue spots on these slopes, and we shouldn’t model them on the spacelaunch brick. We didn’t model the blue spots on the grey part of the helmet (see top scan) and we shouldn’t model them on the white just because it bleeds a bit more.

Considerably over my two cent limit now, but hey, I’m a fanatic...

Don