 CAD / 8738
Re: How accurate need bricks to be?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Thu, 26 Sep 2002 02:08:05 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Chris Dee wrote:

Historically we have been even less concerned about the detail on the underside
of bricks (such as 700). There are so many variants on 1x and 2x bricks, none
of which have any (known) impact on their functionality, that the parts library
would be enlarged without enhancing its utility as a CAD building resource [1].

Another problem: by standards, LDraw bricks are modeled with the walls
being 4LDU thick.  Most stud-hugging ribs on current versions of bricks
would not protrude outside of a 4LDU wall.  So the ribs won't show
unless we make the walls thinner.  Which we shouldn't do, because (at
smaller scales) this could lead to bleed-through problems in rendering.

[1] However, its secondary (IMHO) purpose as a catalogue for precise part
identification would be enhanced !

Very true.  But I think a true Parts History db would be a better way to
obsessively[1] track those variations.

--
Steve
1) I mean 'obsessive' in a good way.