 CAD / 4921
Re: New Partsref is pure bliss
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Thu, 2 Nov 2000 22:25:39 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Heather Patey wrote:

Steve, this is a fantastically useful tool, thank you thank you!  When I'm
online I'd use this over the VEC in LDAO every time.

When I've got a fast connection, I go for Partsref first, even though it's
not as flexible as the VEC.  But the VEC takes too long to load.  Even
LDList takes too long.

The links to the part page in the databases only show up when you look at a
whole category, not in a search result.  It's cumbersome to find a part by
searching, then go back to its category to find what sets it was in.

Todd's in charge of the search engine.  I've provided him with the
information to display the same information in the search results as
appears on the category pages.

Not to be pushy or anything.  He's a busy guy.

It's not obvious that *'s should be used to search for part of a word.  For
example, forest and man turn up no hits, but forest* and *man both work.  Just
a note to that effect on the main page would be helpful.

Good point.  I think information about forming searches used to be on the
start page, but it got dropped in this update.  There's probably a better
way to organize the new start page, or maybe some information could go on a
second page.

Search results don't appear to be sorted by anything... or am I missing
something?  It would be nice to sort by name or number.

I *think* they sort by relevance.

Just dreaming... a link by each part, to a page with images of the part in all
colours, like the 2x4 example on the colour page?

I thought about doing this, but with static html, it seemed like overkill.

It'd be really keen to have pages that combined the color images with
set-availability information.

I think the yellow/tan colour scheme is very nice, by the way; stands out
enough without obscuring the edge lines, and more pleasant to look at than
grey.

It's also more in line with LUGNET's LEGO Set Guide pages.  Fitting in with
LUGNET's look-and-feel propelled quite a bit of the Partsref update.

Steve