 CAD / 17728
Re: LDD and LDraw - which has the most parts?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Wed, 18 May 2011 22:26:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Reuben Pearse wrote:
This got me thinking...which has the most parts LDD or LDraw? Are the parts in
the two libraries copied/borrowed/derived from each other? How closely are the
LDraw community working with the LDD team?

I'm pretty sure LDD has way more parts, patterns being a possible exception.

Many LDraw parts that have been developed more recently were done so with the
gracious help of the Lego Universe Team, who did us the favor of converting
batches of parts from LDD to LDraw format. The files they provide are starters
and need further cleanup by part authors. There hasn't been a new batch since
the 4th one, which was back in September, probably because Lego Universe went
online in October and they've been busy with that.

Recently Philo posted instructions in this group on how to use a 3D screen
grabber, which I guess is intercepting DirectX commands, to grab parts directly
out of LDD. With a little reorientation and rotation, these files are basically
identical to the ones that the LUT provided to us except that they lack even the
most basic edge lines--they're very raw. I've been working a bit on the
long-needed farmer's cowl myself using this technique.

Cleaning up a part can be a lot of work because it involves primitive
substitution at the very least, but it usually also means changing
circular/cylindrical/spherical pieces to use 16 edge segments instead of 12,
adding missing detail, or even sometimes correcting a stray vertex or flipping
triangles around. The first part I ever did from a batch of LUT parts was
44358.dat; it definitely needed some vertex corrections but it was pretty close
to what it needed to be. Hair and hat pieces tend to be much harder to cleanup.
But these parts converted from LDD have been a godsend to the community because
they give part authors a starting point for pieces that are otherwise too
complex to model.

This doesn't go the other way as far as I know. I'm not aware of any LDD parts
being based on preexisting LDraw versions.