 CAD / 17602
Re: LDView and snapshots (Windows 7 64bit)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 14 Feb 2011 20:07:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Matija Puzar wrote:
   Has anyone else experienced LDView being extremely slow making snapshots in Win7 (64bit)?

The main problem is when run from LPub - then LDView is called quite often, and that’s when I first noticed that something was terribly wrong compared to earlier experienctes. So I took another PC with XP, installed the same versions of LPub and LDView, and there it works fine just like I remember it.

It really puzzles me - if I run LDView (4.1) from the command line (using the same parameters LPub calls it with), I see a dramatic difference in time it needs to render the image if -SaveSnapShot is used (like, 12 seconds for a 500x400px shot when saving a PNG from a relatively simple model), compared to the same parameters when the GUI is shown instead and a much bigger picture is rendered.

Any ideas? Could it be that something else set up incorrectly on this particular PC?

There are number of things that might cause LDView to be slow in rendering snapshots. None of them that I can think of seems to really fit your description, but I’ll list them here anyway.
  • Don’t use Pixel Buffer is enabled. This causes LDView to perform software rendering of the model. Check to see if -IgnorePBuffer=1 is one of the command line arguments from LPub. If the model is small, even software rendering should be possible in less than 1 second, so that’s why I don’t think this fits the described problem.
  • Something is causing LDView to search for updates on ldraw.org for unofficial parts used in the model. This would definitely slow things down, especially given how slow ldraw.org is nowadays, but it would also slow down loading the model in the GUI. Additionally, the minimum setting is 1 day between update checks, so rendering the snapshot twice in a row should result in the second render being fast.
  • Does the model take 12 seconds to load in the GUI? The snapshot rendering in the GUI uses the already-loaded model. A “relatively simple model” shouldn’t take anywhere near 12 seconds to load, so this doesn’t seem to match either.
If none of the above helps, please send me the model, along with the LPub command line that resulted in the 12-second snapshot time.

--Travis