 CAD / 13295
Re: Overview of LEGO Factory suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:32:54 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Joe Strout wrote:
   OK, we’ve all had some time to play with LF and the new LDD now. I think it’s time to try and compose a clear, well-thought-ought “dear LEGO” letter explaining whatever seems to be in the way of this being a successful program. It may be that LEGO is already aware of whatever we might say, but then again, maybe not — it can’t hurt to give them our perspective, right?

LET’S DO IT!!!!!

   So, let’s try for the moment to avoid the small stuff and focus on the core issues. I think the major one is:

otay

   1. Any model designed in LDD to actually look like something, ends up costing way more than it is worth, because you have to buy 20 (or more) times as many pieces as what the model actually uses.

Just like real life -minus, Brick Link, ebay, etc,..... but yes your right. I have always said, LEGO is smart about making their sets and parts collectible. They ussually don’t open the flood gate to full.

   As a somewhat related issue,

2. Even if you were more concerned with designing a model to be reasonably priced than with making it look like it should, this is pretty much impossible to do, because LEGO has not yet explained what the part bags are.

The combination of these are that, I suspect, most ALEs will not make use of LF either as designers nor as buyers. As designers, it feels rather pointless to upload a model that you know nobody will buy because it’s grossly overpriced. And of course, as buyers, you generally won’t want to overpay for a particular model plus a bunch of unknown pieces — even collectors would prefer to know what pieces they’re getting if they’re going to shell out that kind of dough.

This is a very good point. ALE’s (AFoL’s) masterfully use many elements and quantities of parts in order to come up with a great MOC. This degree of parts intensity equates to the real life prices associated with the kind of pallets we use in our MOCs. Indeed some people’s creations are astronomical in terms of price. Some MOCs could take many years to actually aquire.

I mean until you spent 5 years (or more as an example) buying and collecting, then you sit down to make someting, the cross section of parts is formidible. I was hoping in a way, LDD would help offset this difficulty. Somehow if the part to wieght ratio could be um....more affordable!

   So if nothing is changed, I think the LF program is going to stall out and probably be cancelled in a year or two. But, it seems quite salvageable. I would propose these steps:

I gotta say I unistalled 1.4 and re-installed 1.3 just so I could make a simple screen shot of someting I was trying to show someone. Just to do that in 1.4 was so difficult. Plus when I tried to change or add pallets in 1.4 all my parts on the building grid dissapeard!

   1. Change the part bags. Even if it means a smaller palette at first, these bags need to be optimized as much as possible for economic modelling. One approach would be to have bags contain only a single part number and color, with quantities in the 5-20 range (20 for small, cheap parts, and fewer of larger more expensive ones). Another approach would be to identify sets of related parts that often go together, and bag them together; for example, left and right wing sections. But again, keep the quantities reasonably low.

Exactly! I want to build stuff, I don’t care where it comes from, I need it! But just like home, I try like heck to use and stay within the bounds of my collection. So while using the parts from sets etc... is a challenge, it is messing some of us up!

   2. Change LDD so that it’s aware of the bag divisions, and shows us in real time, as we design, how many bags we’ve opened and how many unused parts are left. For example, it could display “3/5” under a part if I’ve used 3, but I get 5 with the bags I’ve already opened.

Maybe like shade out the parts in the pallet and or have the qty inset adjust next to the part on the pallet. If I have 4 left monkey arms, and when I use one I want it to change to 3. Perhaps?

   Change #1 will greatly reduce the cost of the models, since you won’t be getting so many unused parts in each one. And change #2 lets a conscientious designer optimize their designs to fit the part bags.

Good point(s)

   So, what do y’all think? Does this cover the major obstacles you see to widespread LF nirvana? Do the suggestions seem sensible?

I think so, and I’m glad your offering your opinnions. I am very excited by LDD, though I am troubled at the limitation. Hopefully over time that will change.

One thing I think LEGO is spot on with is the prices. I know they are high, but look at it like this. It is similar to what lengths we go to so we can build with the varieties we are used to within our own collections.

Like Larry’s Yard Tower (which I never commented on, sorry Lar! I was lurking!) Looking at the design and taking in to consideration the parts used, damn skippy it cost 130 bucks. IRL, that is the kind of money some MOCs cost to make when you have to go to TRU 20 times.

Then again, buying the model directly from LEGO should cost less and certainly having the quantities of parts from whole set pallets plays a role in either making it slightly difficult for us and at the same time doesn’t kill what Lego’s distributing system has been currently built for. I suppose.

   Best,
– Joe

Thanks Joe!