 CAD / 13300
Re: Overview of LEGO Factory suggestions
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general
Date:
Tue, 30 Aug 2005 14:51:53 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Eric Sophie wrote:

   Like how much would something like this cost?

Fantastic Town creations by: jdavis

Hundreds of dollars is what it should cost. What it would actually cost under the current LF system, even if the parts were available at all, would probably be thousands of dollars. I’m seeing about a factor of 25 waste here on realistic models, so if we assume the parts in this building cost about $300, then the LF version of the kit would be about $7500.

I doubt anyone would pay $7500, but I bet they would sell several of that building for $300. That’s a quite reasonable price for such a beautiful model.

   Then look around and get floored by some of the other fantastic MOCs in the AFoL/ALE community when you think about the actual costs involved.

Yes, but on the other hand, there are many excellent creations which are much smaller. I’d be delighted to buy one of Jake’s train cars, for example, or some of the street lamps I see at LEGO train shows. I also see some really nifty custom cars and trucks that should cost in the $50 range, that I would probably buy. But under the current system, these are wildly impractical even if they’re possible at all.

   P.S. This makes me think of an interesting thought. Todd Lehman’s book will shed some light on models like this. The savy Fan of Lego knows where and how to aquire parts for models like this.

Yes, but it’s still a PITA to piece the parts together in this way, and it’s pretty much impossible to put such a thing on your birthday/holiday wish list (unless you’re married to another ALE). The benefits of LF are (1) convenience, (2) publicity, and (3) giftability (hey, I just made up a word).

Best,
– Joe