 CAD / 13291
Re: Crazy idea for third-party Factory-like service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 20:28:00 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jake McKee wrote:

   Although not addressing the “cheapest parts list” desire, the Building Instructions Portal (http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions) has something similar. Users who add a link to their Building Instruction can also upload the LDraw file and, thanks to BrikTrak and Richard Morton, add a link on their BIP instruction description that goes to Bricklink to find the parts for that specific model.

I just tried this, but with mixed success. For example, I tried to buy parts for your Intermodal Spine Car. This produces “Oops! There was a problem processing your request: 1. Item #21: Item Not Found in Catalog.” (You’d think it would then provide a way to go on and find the other items, but it does not.)

Then I tried the Older style Boxcar, and this did work better. I’m a little unclear on exactly what it’s doing when I click through to one of the sellers; I think it’s showing me all the parts they have that match the inventory parts. The quantities don’t carry over, so I’d have to keep the parts list handy and fill out the order myself, but it is indeed a good start.

Then of course there’s the more general problem that half the instruction links on BIP seem to be broken... I wish BIP would just host the instructions themselves.

Best,
– Joe