 CAD / 13287
Re: Crazy idea for third-party Factory-like service
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad
Date:
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 16:37:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Larry Whitman wrote:

   Beautiful idea!

If I may add a slight suggestion...

How about just writing some code for bricklink and selling it to them which takes an mlcad model and scans Bricklink for the best deal for those pieces or all pieces from one vendor etc. Kind of like peeron does for individual pieces already (at least I don’t think this capability already exists!)

Although not addressing the “cheapest parts list” desire, the Building Instructions Portal (http://www.bricksonthebrain.com/instructions) has something similar. Users who add a link to their Building Instruction can also upload the LDraw file and, thanks to BrikTrak and Richard Morton, add a link on their BIP instruction description that goes to Bricklink to find the parts for that specific model.

I’ve been trying to find the time to further develop this idea, but just haven’t been able to yet.

Jake
---
Jake McKee
Webmaster - BIP