 CAD / 11294
Re: Where can I get these cool 3d Bionicle Parts ?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.general, lugnet.cad.dat.parts
Date:
Wed, 14 Apr 2004 01:43:33 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Jason S. Mantor wrote:
I've gotten a couple of replies from people who might work on some
Bionicle parts if they didn't think they'd be wasting their time or
duplicating efforts.  Here's a question : Would bionicle parts be
allowed on the ldraw.org parts tracker ?

I think it would depend mostly on how well they're designed.  The images you
cited look more like gamer graphics (rough 3D geometrics covered with "skins" to
fill in all of the more specific details), but LDraw is more about
fully-functional designs that could actually be produced in plastic.  Given that
by the end of the year there will be around 160 pieces that were originally
designed for the BIONICLE line, I doubt they'll all be produced in virtual form
at this point, but if you start out by focusing on some of the more key
components (Toa/Bohrok torso pieces, various limbs/heads/feet), some of the more
generic components (Bohrok "dog-bone" and "thumb-switch" gears), and some of the
more universally popular decorative pieces (Onua claws, Bohrok eyes/teeth), and
leave the really funky stuff (Akaku Nuva) for really people who _really_ want to
see them produced, it should be possible to get a decent mix of pieces
available.  Who knows, once the ball gets rolling, if maybe it'll draw more
interest/talent in from outside.