 CAD / 10686

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:12:05 GMT

Got mine in the mail today, and I am going throught it slowly. All looks pretty cool, and I keep finding things that I didn’t know existed. I also can’t weait to try rendering things with POVray, et al. I wanted to do that for a long time, but it all seemed so confusing.

Anyway, I had one question for ya Tim: What version of the parts library is on the disk? I guess I assumed it has the same parts as the December 2002 release, as that is the most recent. I also assumed that the software versions are pretty close to the verisons given in the Jan 2003 LDRAW tools installer. Anyway, if you can confirm that, it woyuld be great. Thanks!

-Alfred

In lugnet.announce, Tim Courtney wrote:
   Hey everyone! Writing to let you know that the book Virtual LEGO (by yours truly, Steve Bliss, and Ahui Herrera) has finally hit the shelves! It is now shipping from Amazon.com and showing up in your local bookstore soon (if its not there already).

Its also available immediately from the publisher, No Starch Press, at http://www.nostarch.com/vlego.htm.

This book is a lenghty tutorial on how to use the LDraw suite of tools to create your own virtual LEGO models on your computer, render photo-realistic scenes, and output your own custom building instructions! We’ve packed it with reference material and practical insight to help you as you learn. The CD-ROM comes with an installer that will configure the software automatically for you - you don’t have to jump through hoops a la LDraw.org installation pages to get started :-)

So far, its gotten great reviews from people who have commented to us on it (Orion, Jake, Eric S...), so that makes us happy. :-) I hope the book is informative and educational.

Enjoy!

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Sun, 12 Oct 2003 20:26:34 GMT

Hi Alfred -

In lugnet.cad, Alfred Speredelozzi wrote:
   Got mine in the mail today, and I am going throught it slowly. All looks pretty cool, and I keep finding things that I didn’t know existed. I also can’t weait to try rendering things with POVray, et al. I wanted to do that for a long time, but it all seemed so confusing.

Great! I hope the book helps you learn the POV techniques. Ahui penned those chapters, and I edited them. I learned most of what I know about POV from going through his work! He did a great job with it.

   Anyway, I had one question for ya Tim: What version of the parts library is on the disk? I guess I assumed it has the same parts as the December 2002 release, as that is the most recent. I also assumed that the software versions are pretty close to the verisons given in the Jan 2003 LDRAW tools installer. Anyway, if you can confirm that, it woyuld be great. Thanks!

Ahui also handled the installer for the book’s CD. So, he would be the best person to ask. The final installer was compiled around May, so we might have squeaked another update in there (I’m not looking at the site right now to see when the latest update was released, though)

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
   Anyway, I had one question for ya Tim: What version of the parts library is on the disk? I guess I assumed it has the same parts as the December 2002 release, as that is the most recent. I also assumed that the software versions are pretty close to the verisons given in the Jan 2003 LDRAW tools installer. Anyway, if you can confirm that, it woyuld be great. Thanks!

Ahui also handled the installer for the book’s CD. So, he would be the best person to ask. The final installer was compiled around May, so we might have squeaked another update in there (I’m not looking at the site right now to see when the latest update was released, though)

-Tim

Here is a rundown of what versions are on the CD-ROM in the Virtual LEGO book.

LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03)

MLCad 3.00

LDView (note 1)

L3P latest version

L3PAO 1.3.8

POV-Ray 3.1 (note 2)

MegaPov 0.7 (note 2)

LGEO Parts 15.0

LPub 2.1.0.6 (note 2)

L3Lab latest version

Lsynth Version 1.?? (latestet version is 2.00)

BMP2LDraw latest version

LDDesignPad latest version

LDGLite latest version

LDraw Add-On latest version

Note 1: Not sure what version but for SURE NOT the latest version that came out this month.

Note 2: This is NOT the latest version but the version used in the book.

For those of you who are new to LDraw and are using the book to get started with rendering DO NOT UPGRADE THESE APPLICATIONS unitl after you have use the versions on the CD-ROM to learn the software.

Once you are comfortable with the software, then upgrade. In some case, you might NOT want the upgraded version becuase the difference.

But I, Ahui Herrera, as an Author of the book and the LDraw Help Desk POC recommend that you use the version in the CD-ROM first.

-AHui

LDraw Help Desk

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Mon, 13 Oct 2003 16:52:45 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03)

Where can this be found? The latest I can see on ldraw.org is 2003-02 (from August 1). Or was that a typo?

Thanks.

--Travis

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:04:25 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03)

Where can this be found? The latest I can see on ldraw.org is 2003-02 (from August 1). Or was that a typo?

Thanks.

--Travis

a) On the Virtual LEGO CD-ROM book and

b) On the LDraw.org webiste (BUT NOT JUST YET) as when they did the transfer from the old LDraw server to the new and redsiegned the site we forgot to update the parts updat page.

So I’m not sure how much longer before they post the 2003-03 version? Orion???

-AHui

LDraw Help Desk

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:12:01 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03)

Where can this be found? The latest I can see on ldraw.org is 2003-02 (from August 1). Or was that a typo?

Thanks.

--Travis

a) On the Virtual LEGO CD-ROM book and

b) On the LDraw.org webiste (BUT NOT JUST YET) as when they did the transfer from the old LDraw server to the new and redsiegned the site we forgot to update the parts updat page.

So I’m not sure how much longer before they post the 2003-03 version? Orion???

I believe Orion is working out getting this posted. Alternatively, you can visit:

http://www.ldraw.org/OLD/library/updates/

All of the old site files are under /OLD/

-Tim

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 03:43:46 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03)

Where can this be found? The latest I can see on ldraw.org is 2003-02 (from August 1). Or was that a typo?

Thanks.

--Travis

a) On the Virtual LEGO CD-ROM book and

b) On the LDraw.org webiste (BUT NOT JUST YET) as when they did the transfer from the old LDraw server to the new and redsiegned the site we forgot to update the parts updat page.

So I’m not sure how much longer before they post the 2003-03 version? Orion???

Umm...

There is no 2003-03, the most current is 2003-02

-Orion

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Tue, 14 Oct 2003 20:43:16 GMT

In lugnet.cad, Orion Pobursky wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Travis Cobbs wrote:
   In lugnet.cad, Ahui Herrera wrote:
   LDraw Parts 2003-03 (latest version as of right now 12 Oct 03)

Where can this be found? The latest I can see on ldraw.org is 2003-02 (from August 1). Or was that a typo?

Thanks.

--Travis

a) On the Virtual LEGO CD-ROM book and

b) On the LDraw.org webiste (BUT NOT JUST YET) as when they did the transfer from the old LDraw server to the new and redsiegned the site we forgot to update the parts updat page.

So I’m not sure how much longer before they post the 2003-03 version? Orion???

Umm...

There is no 2003-03, the most current is 2003-02

-Orion

Orion you are correct. After looking at my notes and reviewing my files, I did make a type-o! The latest update IS 2003-02. My notes had 2003-03 becuase at the time that is what we have estimated would be ready for the book release. =) That update version carried on through out all my notes until the very very end when I made the CD-ROM. =)

Sorry about the confusion all. -AHui

LDraw Help Desk

Re: Virtual LEGO now available!
lugnet.cad, lugnet.books, lugnet.publish
Date:
Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:27:54 GMT

Thanks for the info! I do appreciate it. :)

-Alfred