 Boats / 536
535  |  537
Subject:
those crazy Vikings (Was: Viking Longship)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.boats, lugnet.pirates, lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 12 Apr 2006 22:35:14 GMT

In lugnet.boats, Jacob Sparre Andersen wrote:
   In lugnet.pirates, Olof Dahlberg wrote:

   Here are some links for more info: Intact viking ship with data and links to other ships (Swedish site): http://susning.nu/Gokstadsskeppet

Images (new and ancient) and pictures of newly made ships (also in Swedish, with part ot the text in english): http://axelnelson.com/skepp/ovriga.html http://axelnelson.com/skepp/ovvik.htm

Link collection with many pictures and old and new ships: http://www.vikingship.net/

In addition there’s the Museum of Viking Ships in Roskilde, Denmark:

http://www.vikingeskibsmuseet.dk/

Thanks, guys, for the great links! These will help me a lot.

I read that the Vikings didn’t use saws to make their boats. That’s pretty amazing.

   PS: Any chance we’ll get a “lugnet.vikings” group?

Ha! Well, you know I’d love to, but I’d take flak from the masses for being even more of a compartmentalized dork, right? ;-)

In my own defense, here’s an amusing quote I came across, from this book: A Brief History of the Vikings: The Last Pagans or the First Modern Europeans? by Jonathan Clements

“The Vikings, in their explorations and conquests, undoubtedly achieved much. However it must be admitted that the leading edge of their expansion chiefly comprised thugs, brigands and outlaws. Latter-day apologists have attempted to soften the image but, by definition, the word Viking refers to pirates. A Viking is categorically not a flaxen-haired maiden making attractive jewellery by the side of a picturesque fjord, no matter what some museum curators may imply.”

So there you have it. Vikings are Pirates! (thereby making Pirates all that much cooler of a theme, and demonstrating superiority to the Castle theme’s pitiful Ninjas) ;-) <-- big winkie there.

For the heck of it, here’s another quote, where they’re defined by their being “not civilized”:

“Vikings were the rejects of Scandinavian society [...]. It was a Viking who kept his retarded son chained like a beast outside his house, a Viking who attempted to skin a horse alive, and a Viking who hacked off a pig’s snout to prove a point.”

Come to think of it, maybe Castle people wouldn’t want to be associated with this bunch of Berserkers anyway!

-Suz

x-posted to lugnet.pirates and admin.suggestions (because of the newsgroup inquiry)