 Belville / 88

Re: lugnet.belville has got on it's feet!
Newsgroups:
lugnet.belville, lugnet.general
Date:
Mon, 17 Jan 2000 05:39:23 GMT

In lugnet.belville, Shiri Dori writes:
Hi all lego fans!

Four months ago, lugnet.belville opened (1) and it was pretty empty. For a
while there were only 12 or so posts, and no one seemed to have new ones...

But recently, people have been getting interested in Belville (2) and I'm
happy. It's nice knowing I'm not the only Belville fan in the world :-)
[...]

Woo! I was waiting for a post like this. I noticed the activity level too.

Speaking to those who don't like BV, I'll admit -- when I first saw a BV set..
long ago.. I gaged. But after years studying a wide variety of toys for their
quality of materials and design, I am repeatedly impressed by the exactness in
the BV figures' craftsmanship. I've never found a plastic poseable figure which
could even come close. The figures can be stood up, positioned in any way with
the brush of a finger, yet they won't slump over from their joints being too
loose. And kids are quick to realize they can swap heads, feet, arms, etc. to
make their own new characters (like King's head on Queen's body). I've made some
more "normal" looking kids by putting boy heads on the girls' bodies. I also
match up non-pink bodies with non-blonde heads.

as for cost... Hasn't there been a dramatic price drop? (to a level I'd call
reasonable.) The most expensive sets went from $99 down to $66. That's five
years later with same number of pieces. (1)

The witch's cottage set for instance has extremely high play value, is colorful,
durable, creative, AND is compatible with the huge, unparalleled building
system. for just over $10 (!) imho, a far better investment than say, a Barbie
doll of equal cost.

So, are anti-BVers just grossed out by girl-targeted toys in general? Are they
upset because it all seems too "un-LEGO-like"? Do they hate buying a set to use
only one tenth of its parts? Sounds like this is the case.

Unless, do they honestly think these products are overpriced and downright
hateable toys? If so, I'd like to hear. (from those who have experience with the
line)

I'm not pointing fingers, just want people to think a bit and take care in their
wording. Also I'm curious what could actually be "wrong" with LEGO Belville
sets. (2) Alternately, if you appreciate BV, I'd like to know why too.

So come on out, all you female (or male) lurkers! Let's write away the Belville
stigma.  ;-)  Or maybe bash those darn TECHNIC figs, eh?

-Suz.
(1) compare:
(2)'course SCALA is whole different story.

Re: lugnet.belville has got on it's feet!
Speaking to those who don't like BV, I'll admit -- when I first saw a BV • set..
long ago.. I gaged. But after years studying a wide variety of toys for • their
quality of materials and design, I am repeatedly impressed by the exactness • in
the BV figures' craftsmanship. I've never found a plastic poseable figure • which
could even come close. The figures can be stood up, positioned in any way • with
the brush of a finger, yet they won't slump over from their joints being • too
loose. And kids are quick to realize they can swap heads, feet, arms, etc. • to
make their own new characters (like King's head on Queen's body). I've made • some
more "normal" looking kids by putting boy heads on the girls' bodies. I • also
match up non-pink bodies with non-blonde heads.

He he he... Yea, I've played around a bit with swapping body parts.

as for cost... Hasn't there been a dramatic price drop? (to a level I'd • call
reasonable.) The most expensive sets went from $99 down to $66. That's five
years later with same number of pieces. (1)

Yea, that is a dramatic difference, though some of it may be attributeable
to smaller pieces and a vacuum formed baseplate instead of those base bricks
(though 5808 does have smaller base bricks).

The witch's cottage set for instance has extremely high play value, is • colorful,
durable, creative, AND is compatible with the huge, unparalleled building
system. for just over $10 (!) imho, a far better investment than say, a • Barbie
doll of equal cost.

Absolutely. I am not at all quibling about the value of the sets if you
include the value the figure (as compared to a Barbie doll). That was part
of my point that I'd be interested in seeing the figures sold seperately (or
in small 40 piece sets like the Witch's Cottage). Pulling the figures out of
5808 would pull it's price down to $50, making it just over 20 cents a part
(not at all unreasonable when you consider the large pieces, which for
Belville are no more unreasonable than a castle wall piece.

Unfortanately 5907 and 5805 aren't as good values

So, are anti-BVers just grossed out by girl-targeted toys in general? Are • they
upset because it all seems too "un-LEGO-like"? Do they hate buying a set to • use
only one tenth of its parts? Sounds like this is the case.

Belville is definitely LEGO. True, set design tends to be simple, and based
on several large pieces, but it still has more customizability than
Playmobile (of course the age range is different). It could use some parts
packs (this is where it would be really helpfull to be able to buy the sets
sans figures, think about adding a 5805, several 5804s, and perhaps a 5807
or two to 5808. Now you could build a decent two story multi-room castle (of
course when you start doing that, it would become quickly obvious that the
older sets with the base bricks would be better than the baseplate).

So come on out, all you female (or male) lurkers! Let's write away the • Belville
stigma.  ;-)  Or maybe bash those darn TECHNIC figs, eh?

I do like the fact that the Technic figures are about the same size as
Belville. That does give options to expand the population of Belville a bit
(or the converse, diversify Technic). I need to modify my Turbo Command
vehicle a bit to make it a little more comfortable for the Belville woman
from 5890 (for which I got a decent deal on eBay - got 90% of TWO of them
plus 20% of a 6416 for about $100).

Of course there's another advantage, any Technic vehicle is close to useable
to provide the Belville series with vehicles (and now we really blow Barbie
away - what does she get? An airplane [and you thought minifig aircraft
looked a little compressed!] and a car, what else [I don't pay that much
attention to Barbie]!).

I definitely agree, Belville is a good play system. I like the figures
(though I won't be creating a Belville world). The set design is pleasing
(if spartan). Decent quantities of accessories are included. Play value is
good compared to other "doll" toys.

Frank

Re: lugnet.belville has gotten on its feet!