 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 571
570  |  572
Subject:
Satisfying my mosaic envy
Newsgroups:
lugnet.build, lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.general
Date:
Fri, 4 Oct 2002 02:33:47 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I've seen so many wonderful LEGO mosaics in the last year that I've been
itching to do something large-scale of my own.  I could never decide on a
subject to put the effort into though.

My new favorite thing to listen to this summer has been the string quartet
named bond.  Realizing the possiblity of overlapping the interests I was
struck by my Muse and this is the result:

The first image is obviously what I worked from (that's Tania Davis, the
viola player.)  The others show the progression of the project.  The final
product covers nine 15" x 15" baseplates, and in terms of piece count (about
20,000) is surely the largest thing I've ever built.

I intend to write up and post online much more about the whole process but
the fourth image will need explanation now.  I wanted to include her
instrument in the image somehow but a foreshortened viola being played
doesn't look like much pixelated and/or would have required a larger mosaic
(I was already hard pressed to find wall space for this.)  I hit on the idea
of using a layer of plates under the mosaic image to create a relief of a
full-size viola.  The fourth image is the 'uncovered' silhouette.

I was quite pleased with the result - it doesn't distract from the picture,
but still readily catches the eye and is an easily discernable shape.  I
don't have a decent picture of the final result however.  It is really only
visible by virtue of the shadows it casts.  With all the room lights on and
the camera flash going off that is quite lost.  In fact I intend to produce
better pictures all around - time to upgrade the camera.

This turned out to be one of the most enjoyable LEGO projects I've ever
done, and I now have more mosaic ideas than I know what to do with (well,
no, I know what to do with them, it's the time and money holding me up!)
There's another already in the works with a another raised-area sub-image
the full size of the 44x188 stud mosiac.  Plans for others include color and
texture.

For now though PLMKWYT of this one.

John