 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 4326
4325  |  4327
Subject:
N&W J-class steam locomotive
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce.moc
Date:
Wed, 12 Nov 2008 06:33:53 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I was finally able to clear out enough time and off enough room to photograph my N&W J-class steam engine (northern, 4-8-4) and consist.

Full Gallery

I wanted to build the N&W J class for some time, but the bullet streamlining around the nose proved formidable. So there it sat on the back burner until I stumbled onto the modified facet, 2463 (yeah, only afterwards did I realize Steve B. invented that same basic idea several years earlier). After a quick mock up of the nose section with a pair of beat up yellow 2463’s from the bottom of a storage box, I had the solution. I was convinced that all of the other aesthetic details could be worked out and started the design... but more on that process in an upcoming issue of RailBricks. The end result is shown here,

By the twilight of steam in the US, the northern wheel arrangement had become one of the workhorses. And because Norfolk and Western was a coal hauling railroad, they were determined to stick with steam. They managed to do so until about 1960 too. The 14 J class steam engines were built in the N&W shops and pulled most of the passenger trains on the N&W. The J class includes the last passenger steam locomotive built in the US. The 611 is the only surviving J and ran many excursions until she was re-retired in 1994. Click the two reference images for more information on the J’s.

I think the model captures the look of the prototype, but judge for yourself. While I thought the nose would be challenging, once I found the right piece it turned out to be easy. I had no idea that the pilot would be an even bigger challenge. How do you get that angle, and keep it light, and so forth. I’m happy with the way the pilot turned out though. One feature of the model that had bugged me from the start was the way the sheer walls of the boiler drop straight to the running boards (deliberately not too obvious in most of the posted photos). While taking these shots I became so fed up that I reworked the boiler and I will post photos of the new boiler when I have a chance to take them. And obviously, I did not even attempt the gold pinstriping, too narrow to resolve in lego.

As for the mechanicals, after thorough R+D on the home layout, she runs like a charm. Handles curves, switches, etc just fine, with the drivers spinning smoothly throughout. This time I designed it for shows from the start and she has the equalizers to handle ugly peaks in the track (I think I tested as high as two plates at the junction of two straight tracks). She can probably run just about anywhere the 10020 can. The drivers float on the pilot truck, so she can handle curves with grace,

The forthcoming Railbricks article should show the drivers off of the boiler to give you a better idea of how I worked it out. Oh, almost forgot, I was able to fit the ladder from the ground up to the cab around the “drawbar” between the engine and tender,

Now you can’t have a passenger engine without a consist, can you? Most of the cars follow what has become my standard 6 wide design and they clearly show heavy inspiration from the 10022. Though the fact that they are dark red is a nice touch. On the head end I step the width down from an 8 wide engine (with a few spots of 9) to a 7 wide tender 7 wide and then the 6 wide cars.

I did advance my style some on two of the cars, I am fond of the service door (with guard rail) on the dinner,

and I spent quite some time working out the round end observation,

In addition to the obvious curvature, note the use of cheese bricks for streamlined marker lamps (not prototypical, but so what) and the radio antennas on the roof (which were prototypical).

The train debuted at BrickWorld, but I had to leave about the time most people finished setting up, so few saw it there. It has been to one show since, at the Ohio State Fair (note Gallagher’s bridge in the background of some of the photos).

Comments are welcome,

Enjoy,

Benn

Full Gallery