 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3996
3995  |  3997
Subject:
Stealth gunship
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.build.military
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 04:53:27 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Hi again,

Might as well post another chopper while I'm on a roll:)

The Skystalker Stealth Gunship is the first aircraft I've built in a few years.
It looks a lot like the classic Cobra gunship, but was mainly inspired by the
stealthier Commanche. It is operated by a standard crew of two, carries a
machine cannon in the nose and a single air-to-air missile for self defense, and
has space for various missiles or alternative cargo in the rear cabin.

The Skystalker doesn't carry quite as many weapons as a heavier gunship might;
but sacrifices armor and firepower for speed, agility, and a very low radar
profile. Its missions include antiarmor, recon, covert insertion and extraction,
and even medevac.

BS folder, when public:

Deeplinks and comments:

I'm a sucker for light camo on the undersides of aircraft, but in retrospect
wonder if I should have done this one in all gray. I've used all four grays, and
am still figuring out which of them look good together. Some of the pieces only
exist in certain colors of course.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Skystalker/image0001.jpg

I'm quite pleased with the detail I fit into the tail.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Skystalker/image0008.jpg

In true stealth style, the landing gear fold up neatly and the missile bays open
up.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Skystalker/image0005.jpg

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Skystalker/image0012.jpg

The five pack missile pods (lifted from Dan Rubin's design) can be replaced with
less cool looking, but infinitely more playable flick-fire missile pods.
Alternatively the missiles can be removed completely leaving space in the back
for a few soldiers or even a stretcher, giving the gunship excellent
versatility.

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/Skystalker/image0014.jpg

The Skystalker went into action against hordes of mecha at BrickWorld 07:

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/AMCP/image0010.jpg

but had quite the inauspicious baptism of fire when it was shot down over the
AMCP urban battlefield. Happily for future Skystalker pilots, specialized
anti-mecha weaponry is being devised for future engagements with mechanized
legged enemies:)

http://www.brickshelf.com/gallery/MagnusLauglo/Military/AMCP/image0011.jpg

PLMKWYT!

Magnus