 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 3011
3010  |  3012
Subject:
Stretch Limo Caboose
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.trains
Date:
Sat, 1 Oct 2005 01:43:49 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

I’m always amused by limo companies trying to outdo each other with longer, more
exotic limousines. Since I’m new to the LEGO train world, and wanted to build a
train MOC, I decided to build a stretch limo caboose!

<http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=1412386

The stretch limo caboose features a sun deck with a jacuzzi, and a porch with a
table and four chairs at the back of the car. The older folks head for the
porch, while the sun deck draws a younger crowd, partially due to the external
ladder (not for the timid!).

The caboose negotiates curves fine due to the undercarriage construction, but
needs plenty of clearance around train layout curves. The construction was
intentionally more complex than it had to be. Having a turntable on each of two
uncoupled train bases would have allowed the same curve capability. But since I
wanted the bases coupled for aesthetic reasons, the design had to allow for
rotation and translation. I used 4 x 4 turntables with jumper plates riding in
1x4 slotted bricks to accomplish this. I added rubber bands so the bases would
be self-centering under the caboose body.