 Announcements / Creations (MOCs) / 2567
2566  |  2568
Subject:
My God, it's full of stars.
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce.moc, lugnet.space
Date:
Wed, 16 Feb 2005 09:13:16 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

Introducing the Leonov

Another one of my favourite science fiction ships, from the movie 2010, built to scale with my Discovery. This post is long overdue, since the Leonov has been complete since last August. It took longer to take the pictures than to actually build it. :) Follow the link for the pics. For some boring prose, read on.

During the long build of the Discovery, I often thought about building the Leonov to go with it. At least there were pictures of the actual studio model to use for reference! Not the greatest pictures mind you, and it’s missing a few bits here and there, but a lot better than inaccurate design schematics and ‘scale’ reproductions. Those pictures, combined with the usual technique of watching scenes from the movie ad nauseam, were enough to get a good idea of the details and scale.

So every once in a while I would start to conceptualize how the Leonov might come together. I always got stuck on the lack of an 8x8 dark gray radar dish for the main antenna dish though, which I ‘needed’ to get the scale right. One year later, the Discovery complete, facing the reality that a dark gray 8x8 dish would never be made, I finally said, ‘screw it, I’ll just start building the damn thing and see what happens’.

There was a lot of fiddling to get the angles right, gobs of newly discovered (to me) SNOT techniques, and several major redesign/rebuilds (getting the centrifuge perfectly balanced around it’s axis comes to mind). Once I got to the antenna dish, I decided to go with the black 8x8 dish sandwiched between two 6x6 dark gray ones. Not ideal, but I figured it didn’t look too bad. At least it matched the colour scheme of the ship. I’d be interested to hear what others think about this solution and I’m certainly open to other suggestions.

Of course once it was pretty much done Jude comes by and says, ‘you should stick a motor in it’. Such simple words. Another redesign/rebuild of the main forward section to accommodate the motor and gearing, but well worth it. Thanks Jude!

Enjoy,