 Announcements / 4118
MOC: Viking Village
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.castle
Date:
Mon, 13 Dec 2010 21:41:42 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Here’s a viking village I made recently for Hartford KidsFest 2010. The inspiration actually came from doing a mock-up thatched roof design following a trip to Plimoth Plantation.

The scale is a little wonky-- the houses are pretty small thanks to my relatively low supply of dark tan and remaining tan tiles. Each house is only 8x12 studs (making the interior about 6x10), which is probably far smaller than they’d be in reality. But they’re also scaled down a bit to make the main hall appear larger!

The reality was supposedly that many viking villages really only ever had ONE building (the main hall), and there were few if any outbuildings (if I remember my reading correctly). Also, they frequently put sod on their roofs, so you wouldn’t even see a thatched roof. But this was made more for visual impact rather than historical accuracy!

The boat also is pretty scaled down, since otherwise it appeared to dwarf the houses. I believe the boats were realistically pretty large-- they would often even take their horses with them on board! Unfortunately for the model, a small boat made it a bit more empty on the waterfront than I would’ve liked. But on the plus side, it DID provide an extra few inches from some of the more grabby fingers at KidsFest!

DaveE