 Announcements / 2106
2105  |  2107
Subject:
Announcing FTX for discussion groups
Newsgroups:
lugnet.announce, lugnet.publish, lugnet.admin.nntp
Date:
Wed, 28 May 2003 03:58:02 GMT
Highlighted:
!! (details)

I am very happy to announce three changes today to the LUGNET News web interface:
  • Fixed-width font now used for plain-text messages. Once upon a time, when LUGNET first served up messages via the web, messages were displayed in a fixed-width font. This was good, and held to tradition, but caused problems for people reading on low-end 640x480 screens (common at the time). We changed the font from Courier to Times Roman in order to compress the message display. Well, almost five years have passed since then, and the era of postage-stamp sized screens is long gone. So: it’s now changed back to Courier. (Note: if you prefer a fixed-width font other than Courier, you can configure this in your web browser preferences.)

  • Quoted snippets now show in rainbow of colors. Each “level” of quoted reply now has its own color, instead of all levels having the same color. The color shifts are subtle, yet evident. Now you can visually pick apart layers of replies with ease.

  • FTX content in messages. A picture is worth a thousand words. You can now post and view FTX messages through the web interface. This means you can do a lot of neat new things in your messages. (And you can still post messages in plain text too.) FTX messages show in a proportional-spaced font called Verdana.
The remainder of this announcement is a gentle introduction to FTX.

Basic FTX Overview

Formatted text (“FTX”) is an enhanced text format developed by LUGNET originally for member pages. FTX offers many of the same great features as HTML, but in a simpler and more direct way. Of particular benefit is that FTX “plays well” with plain text. Here’s how it works:

Put text in curly braces to make italics or in square brackets to make boldface. Put text between pairs of underscores to make underlined words or between pairs of vertical bars to make computer words.
   {italics}    [boldface]    _underlined_    |computer words|
To make a hyperlink, simply write a URL or page name between angle brackets < > and optionally include text after the URL to make a labeled hyperlink.
   <http://www.google.com/>    or    <http://www.google.com/ Search Google>
Special symbols in column 1 signify special paragraph types, such as bulleted lists, automatically numbered lists, simple tables, and computer code listings.
   * bulleted list
   + numbered list
   ~ table cells
   | computer code
Lines of -’s or =’s below a line of text make section headings.
   Large heading    Small heading
   =============    -------------
Those are the basic features. Additional features are available for more advanced use.

LEGO pictures

FTX has two LEGO picture features: LEGO sets and LEGO elements. By writing <<LEGOSet(id)>> you can include any LEGO set that appears in the LUGNET Guide.

    6876 Alienator
82 elements, 1 figure, 1988
LEGO > SYSTEM > Space > Blacktron I

    6894 Invader
156 elements, 1 figure, 1987
LEGO > SYSTEM > Space > Blacktron I

    6941 Battrax
276 elements, 1 figure, 1987
LEGO > SYSTEM > Space > Blacktron I

And by writing <<LDrawPart(part:color)>> you can include a picture of any LEGO element from LDraw.

Your own pictures

Simply by writing <<imageurl>>, you can include your own web-sized images in your posts, provided that your images are already uploaded to a webserver somewhere on the Internet. (LUGNET does not provide hosting space for your images.)

Here are five photos I took earlier this year, arranged in a two-column table with picture labels:

Harpsichord and Stegasaurus · Henry Lim

Victorian House · Susan Michon

1934 American LaFrance · Tom Duggan

Space Station 2 · Rick Kujawa

Zolquith · Eric Sophie

Photographs ©2003 Todd Lehman.
All rights reserved.

Ready to learn more?

When you’re ready to learn more, please visit the FTX Quick-start page or the longer FTX User Guide for more details.

--Todd