 Announcements / 1337
1336  |  1338
Subject:
GMLTC layout 'show' pictures
Newsgroups:
lugnet.trains, lugnet.announce, lugnet.general, lugnet.build
Date:
Tue, 16 Oct 2001 22:48:44 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

Yes, the new GMLTC train layout has had its world premier at the 2001
Hostfest in Minot, North Dakota.  We had four completed modules, of our
ultimate plan of 16 modules in the layout.  This is our first layout built
to handle 8-wide trains, with two 6-wide subway lines underneath the town.
We started with the 'town' sections, so we would have an excuse to build
lots of buildings, and have lots of mini-figures in town.  For this show we
built two plywood boxes to give us room to loop the two mainlines back on
each other, creating a 'dogbone' layout.

Instead of having people wait for us to update www.gmltc.org, I posted a few
pictures to my Brickshelf library:
(We have dozens of other pictures, I'm not going to promise when we'll get
our site updated...)

Individual pictures:
Wide angle view of the entire four modules:
The layout is not built level, the left end is 8 bricks higher than the low
end.  We think this adds a lot of interest to the layout, and gives us more
angles to play with.  The blimp I got from someone on Brickbay, we had the
show's set-up people hang it from the ceiling for us.

View from the high end of the layout:

View from the low end of the layout:
(The boy in front stayed in front of the layout for over three hours!)  The
park contains an RCX controlled reversing loop for the trolley line.

View of Dan Siskind's "Brickmania" building:
The small 2-wide train moves around the building, the mini-figures 'dance',
and the gears all turn.

Finally, a view lengthwise down the back street (and trolley track) of the
town:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=76707

I also posted a couple new pictures of my favorite 8-wide locomotive.  (It's
my favorite because I built it! <grin>):
Racing past the town:  http://www.brickshelf.com/cgi-bin/gallery.cgi?i=76711

Only a few minutes after the 'racing' picture I added some GMLTC decals:

To the people in Minot, thanks for treating us like family.  We'll probably
be back at Hostfest next year, hopefully with *twelve* completed modules...

As always, comments are welcome!!

JohnG, GMLTC