 Administrative / Suggestions / 1647
Re: Change in handling of real names on LUGNET web pages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Thu, 19 Feb 2009 19:39:30 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Honestly, using people's real names is part of what I always liked about
LUGNET-- when someone says "Did you see that new model by Edgar Jones?" it's
more personal than when you say "Did you see that new model by ButtonBlaster26?"
It gives you a connection to the community that's (IMHO) lacking elsewhere. It
makes LUGNET feel like a community of people you know.

And that also has positive results elsewhere. When I went to Lego conventions
back in 2001 or so, I would walk around looking at name tags saying "Oh yeah, I
know that name!" But now I don't recognize anyone's name, and I feel like
there's a bunch of strangers at the conventions, unless I happen to know their
name from the LUGNET days. Same goes for things like LEGO Ambassadors. The
Ambassador's real names get announced, but there's no relationship between their
real names and the names they post under on their various forums. I may see
"DukeMuncher" actually being an Ambassador on a forum, but I'm totally oblivious
as to which Ambassador he or she might be on Lego's list.

As an aside, everyone who signed up for posting access was notified pretty
precisely that this is the way that LUGNET works-- it's not like anyone should
be able to claim that they weren't aware that their real name would be used.
From the posting setup page:

"Your real-life name will appear automatically in all the messages you post to
this service, even if you give a different name for your news-posting identity."

See: http://news.lugnet.com/news/post/setup/

I really appreciate the feeling of community that this bestows upon us, and in
my experience I've never felt that it's been an invasion of my privacy. I might
get a few more spams thanks to having my e-mail listed out there on LUGNET, but
that's been the extent of negativity for me. I'd like LUGNET to continue to be a
place where people in the community can come and know who they're interacting
with, rather than some form of anonymity.

DaveE