 Administrative / Suggestions / 1641
Re: Change in handling of real names on LUGNET web pages?
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Wed, 27 Aug 2008 14:29:38 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Frank Filz wrote:
Gereon "Jerry" Stein wrote:
Please note that whatever steps we will take, these will only be
applicable to _registered_ users (as other users may have posting
permissions but do not have a profile to change their settings in to
begin with). To put it that way, if you post as an unregistered user,
we won't be able to do much about your privacy. Also - apart from
emergencies or offense - we will not meddle with the contents of
posts, so before hitting the "Post" button, it may be useful to have
some brains kick in... I think you know what I mean ;)

Would this affect NNTP reading?

No, because the news server is unaware of membership and profiles. That's why
posting through NNTP always requires the email authentication process.

However, individuals' names and profile data are not an issue with NNTP anyway -
apparently only through the web as that's where people don't want to be found.

Sure, one might get the idea to just archive news for data harvesting purposes,
but that would be pretty tedious and you'd have to know what you are searching
for - plus it wouldn't go unnoticed; I shut down network access for someone
trying to download massive amounts of data recently and am prepared to do so
again if necessary.

Jerry