 Administrative / Suggestions / 1636
Re: How to properly "announce" MOC's
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.suggestions
Date:
Fri, 11 Jul 2008 01:07:03 GMT

In lugnet.admin.suggestions, Brendan Powell Smith wrote:
   Even apart from the worry over some LUGNET posters intentionally driving up their own “view counts” for egotistical reasons, I would appreciate some sort of reload-blocking if only to keep myself from accidentally driving up my own posts’ “view counts” due to over-actively reloading the page just to check whether anyone else has been viewing the my posts.

I can just see myself thinking, “Hey, every time I reload the page, another person has viewed my post! It must be really popular!” :)

I second this thinking.

   1. Latest MOCs - Expand this section to include thumbnails of the five or six most recent MOCs. I would also swap the positioning of the Latest MOCs column and the Top Stories column to give the MOCs more prominence.

I agree that thumbnails would be cool.

I disagree about swapping Top Stories and Latest MOCs. LUGNET is primarily a discussion site, so the stories should remain the focus. Since the center-column articles are updated so rarely, I could see reducing them somewhat - put latest MOCs horizontally across the top, instead of vertically on the right?

   2. Top Stories - Have this section only include non-MOC announcement posts, and have posts make it to the Top Stories section by a combination of “view count”, spotlighting, and how recently it was posted. This will draw people attention to the most active discussions and/or stand-out non-MOC announcement posts.

I think using view count as a criteria wouldn’t work. The postings in Top Stories have inflated view counts *because* they are in Top Stories, so using view count would tend re-enforce the standings of the stories already in the list.

   I’m torn as to whether spotlighting should continue to effect MOC announcement posts. It almost seems as if the front page needs yet a third automatically-updating section for recent noteworthy MOCs. Maybe this could be something that appears automatically at the end of each week in the middle section of the front page? It would include thumbnails of the five MOCs from the past week with the highest “view counts” and spotlight ratings?

That sounds like a very interesting idea.

   I think LUGNET could also use a more obvious way to post new MOCs--one that walks newbies through it, and encourages inclusion of at least one reasonably-sized representative image in the post.

That would be very good. Maybe even a “Announce MOC” icon in the top navbar.

Steve