 Administrative / General / 8169
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 14:42:05 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Kingsley writes:
My being member #15 or member #2015 or not a paying member at all has nothing
to do with it.  In fact I try to avoid posting my member # because I find it
elitest and I don't see the value add of doing so.

I think you may have misunderstood why I mentioned your member number (note I
didn't mention mine).  I also don't think your number should necessarily
indicate you have some sort of status or "power" here.  I referenced it simply
because I think, in some cases, a fairly high number may indicate you came to
the LUGNET community a little later than some.  Nothing wrong with that, but
being here from the beginning does provide a different sort of perspective.
Not always a better perspective, mind you, but certainly a different one.

And I meant all that in the sense that those of us who remember people leaving
RTL because of the actions of others (whatever they might have been) might
have a different take on someone feeling the need to leave if LUGNET were
allowed to become a not-so-friendly place.  That's all - no implied elitism,
although I'm mostly in Larry's camp when it comes to elitism not necessarily
being a bad thing, as long as it is merit-based.

To try and force Todd,
not that that would ever happen, into an action as serious as bannishment is
just wrong in my opinion.

To try to force Todd to do anything would be futile, I assure you.  :)  To try
to influence Todd, though, is not necessarily wrong, imo.  Especially if
you're just stating your opinion and perhaps offering your perspective.  I
snipped what you wrote about possibly assuming a threatening nature to the
comments about leaving, but I think it is important to note that *Todd* did
not characterize them as threats, so I would not characterize them as attempts
to *force* him to do anything either.

I am not sure I totally agree with Todd's statement that if he had known
Matthew were the Mad Hatter that he would not have let him in but that is
Todd's choice.  I personally like to give 2nd chances as much as possible as

I'm sure I totally agree with Todd's statement, but I'm ok with you tending
towards 2nd chances.

Well fortunately we won't have to worry about that.

Yup.  :)