 Administrative / General / 8163
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Mon, 23 Oct 2000 13:55:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Eric Joslin writes:
So would I.  No one ever said you couldn't choose who to like and who not to
like.

People seem to be suggesting, though, that one should not choose to voice that
opinion.  If person A can voice an opinion that persons B, C, and D find
offensive (and to be honest - persons E, F, and G couldn't care less about)
I'd say B, C, or D have just as much right to discuss it.  Yay, even to even
argue about it.

Now given all that, am I personally glad that Matthew is gone?  You bet. • Does
at least a decent portion of that personal satisfaction have to do with the
fact that he offended the heck out of me for his opinions?  Sure does.  Am I
sorry or ashamed for feeling that way?  Nope.  And nobody else here would be
either -

Actually, if I felt that way, yeah, I would be ashamed of myself.

Really?  You're able to divest yourself so fully from your personal beliefs or
opinions that someone who held one that offended you - pick one - here's an
easy one.  If Randolf the Racist believed that only purple people truly
belonged in this country and that all other races should be forcibly tossed
from it, and that belief offended you, made you sick to your stomach even.  If
Randolf were then tossed from LUGNET because he broke the rules, you wouldn't
feel a teensy bit of satisfaction that someone who turned your stomach was no
longer around to turn it?  If so, I think we need to put your dossier on the
fast track for Sainthood.  :)

or do so many of you choose to associate with people you don't like
or who have opinions that offend you?

Just because he may have been here on Lugnet doesn't mean you *must* associate
with him.  Just because his opinions offended you, you shouldn't want to see
him gone.  Lugnet is a big place, and there's plenty of room for all types of
opinions.

Yes, there are.  And there's room for discussion, possibly even arguments,
about those opinions, especially if they are conducted with the respect of
both parties in mind.  I'd say Matthew and I fell a little short of that mark
more than once, although I'd probably try to point out that "he started it",
realizing that two wrongs don't make a right.

Which is not to say that, in the final analysis, I don't think he should have
been ToSsed.  I just still don't think his opinions should have any bearing
whatsoever on the question, only his actions.

On the question of ToSing him, I agree.  Well, maybe.  I'm not prepared to
tell LUGNET's owner what criteria he may use to make his decision, especially
since he has a blanket "I can toss you if I think you need to" clause.  But
yes, in the abstract sense, were we to have any real say in who gets ToSed and
who doesn't, I'd say personal opinions shouldn't come into play.

I think I'd just be more willing to notice correlations between opinions and
actions.  And what I mean by that is that while you say you're not concerned
about James Jessiman one way or the other, you don't seem to feel a desire to
run around making fun of people who do respect and yes, perhaps revere him.
Matthew seemed to take a petty sort of glee in trying to humiliate people for
respecting James and his contribution to the LCAD community.  You may feel it
is just as silly, but you stop short of trying to rudely and arrogantly rub
someone else's nose in it.  You have an opinion that differs from mine (that I
can respect) and you respect my right to hold it.  He had an opinion that is
different from mine (the right to hold the opinion I can respect) and he
thought it fun to turn that into a weapon of sorts, obviously having no
respect for others' rights to their opinions.