 Administrative / General / 8118
8117  |  8119
Subject:
LUGNET and Matthew Moulton
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Sat, 21 Oct 2000 17:14:57 GMT

G'day folks,

Yesterday, I think it was, I posted a message about how happy I was
that I managed to stay out of the flame war.  Now that discussions
are a lot less heated, I think I'll add some thoughts.  I've been
thinking in point-form lately, so don't look for continuity  :]
Emphasis of these being *my* personal opinions to be added to
all these points.

In no particular order:

1)  On LUGNET's site:  I believe this site to be "owned" by
T&S.  They may do with it whatever they please.  They may
enforce whatever rules they see fit.  They may censor whatever
content they wish.  As much as they prefer to do things to
keep everyone happy and not censor, what action they take is
completely up to them.  As much as I appreciate having my opinion
considered, I do not feel I personally am responsible for
actions taken by T&S.  It's their sandbox  :]  I'm happy with that.

2)  On posting links:  If someone merely posts a link to their
site that maybe had unpopular content, that is none of LUGNET's
concern.  As long as the site content is related to the LUGNET group
in which the link was posted, then posting the link is on-topic.
If the message posting the link (not the link itself) is
violating the ToS, then that's a different issue to be handled
by T&S as they see fit.

3)  On off-LUGNET content:  I'm with EJ on this one.
What people put on the internet at large should not concern
LUGNET.  If someone has something on their site that is of concern
in the real world (e.g., threats of violence, etc.) then
that is not an issue for LUGNET to police.  People can report
it to authorities, and let the systems that be assume the
responsibilities for action/judgement.
If someone has a personal site that is not "advertised" using LUGNET,
then that is also of no concern to LUGNET.  I could have a
porn site somewhere (involving LEGO even! :] ), but as long as
I don't advertise it on LUGNET then it is none of LUGNET's business.
Ditto for personal lives.  I could be the most upstanding member
of LUGNET, but yet be a prison inmate somewhere, for pedophilia
even <UGH!>  But that is none of LUGNET's concern.  (Again, caveats
to T&S being allowed to do whatever they wish with their site.)

4)  On on-LUGNET content:  There is no wrong in posting
unpopular opinions.  With all due respect to JJ, TC, et.al.,
everyone is allowed their own view.  You can argue over them
if you wish.  If you disagree with someone's off-LUGNET content,
then that is between you and them.  I don't think it's fitting
to drag it onto LUGNET.  That's something everyone says MM did
(the RTL vengeance deal).  If you disagree with someone's
on-LUGNET content, then that is no reason to call for a ToS.

5)  On this "LEGO Community":  What is this?  Yes there are a lot
of us from all over the world with common interests.  Yes there
are some people here that I enjoy communicating with.  But what
is this "unified entity" that people keep referring to?  I am
an individual with my own opinions.  And I'll express them as
it suits me.  If they rubs the site owner's the wrong way, then
I'm gone.  Their call.  If someone comes here with some kind
of vengeance crusade against the "community" that did him wrong?
I'm sorry, but that doesn't include me.  If I got into it with
someone personally then I'm involved, but only then.  Don't
get me wrong, I think this is a great place with a lot of
great (and perhaps some not so great) people.  I really enjoy
being here and playing well with others.  I just get irked
when I'm labelled as "The LEGO Community" in regards to some
kind of external affairs, such as dealing with TLC, dealing
with "disruptive interlopers", dealing with off-LUGNET content,
etc.  If that's what LUGNET is here to do then maybe I'm in
the wrong club?  I like to remain neutral when it suits me...

6)  On MM:  The bit with the attempt at "social engineering"
doesn't jive with me.  I don't think anyone would ever attempt
that.  I think that was all just cover from MM after he done
what he did.  Smoke and mirrors.

7)  On the flame war that ensued:  I can't conceive why anyone
would set out to wreck havoc in an on-line group.  It is just
way too much effort for whatever perverse satisfaction it could
give.  For sure for that same amount of effort someone
could have much more fun with heavy drinking or something  :]

8)  To MM:  Dude, wow.  If anyone ever went at things in the
physical world the way you say you're used to them in the e-world,
they would get killed.  In a bar fight somewhere probably  :]
I can't possibly believe you do things like this for real.  If
you do then, and I mean this as non-insultingly as possible, you
really should get some help.  Unfortunately I don't know where
you go for that.  If you have some good genuine friends, start there.
If not, then that could be your problem.  But don't feel
embarrassed about that.  I'm pretty much a social loner myself
and I know that it's not good in the longterm.  You can get
pretty "cold".  You have to make a very concerted effort to
do something about that, and it takes a lot of work.  I know
this, trust me  :]  Definitely do *not* go seeking help on the
on-line world.  Get rid of the damn computer if you have to.
This box is no substitute for the real people.

9)  There is no point 9).

10)  To MM on your LUGNET status:  Matthew, if it were my site,
you'd be gone that first day.  End of story.  But it's not my site.
T&S make the call here.
I don't particularly want any part in any kind of voting deal to
make that decision.  I think you messed up pretty bad, and a
good portion of it was intentional.  It's not because of your
off-LUGNET content, but because of your on-LUGNET conduct.
I would hope that you have learned something from it all, but I
will *not* presume to say we are all better than you and you "need
to improve to be more like us".  What you decide to do with
your life is ultimately up to you and nobody else.  Cherish
that, it's one of the few things that really matters  :]
Should you decide that playing on LUGNET with the other kids is
something you'd really enjoy, then do that.  Just deal with
conducting yourself by the owner's rules, that's all.  If someone
pisses you off, deal with it outside of LUGNET.  Or better still,
go play Unreal or something to vent it..., it cannot really be worth
getting all that upset over.
But *DO NOT* pledge to be here only to post links, and not discuss
anything to keep others happy.  That's absurd; you might as well
just not be here.  You have opinions, share them.  Others don't
like them, tough love.  Just keep within the decorum expected
by the owner's, and you should be fine.

End o' rant  :]

Peace everyone,
KDJ