 Administrative / General / 8091
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:25:29 GMT

"Eric Kingsley" <kingsley@nelug.org> wrote in message
news:G2qtCJ.CHJ@lugnet.com...

So the burden of proof IMO lies with Matthew - if he really does want to
become a positive contributor and he truly is sorry for his actions, he
should remove his disgusting drivel from his site.  I'm willing to give
Matthew a chance, provided he proves himself to us.

Sorry Tim but I think you are wrong here.  Do I think the graphic on • Matthew's
site is distasteful? Yes.  Do I care about the other text there? Not • really.

We cannot make the content of someone's personal site a prerequisite for
inclusion in the community otherwise we have no community.  If you don't • like
what is on his site just don't go there anymore, I know I won't.

I should correct myself - not *should* in the sense of a clearcut condition,
but as a willful action to demonstrate to the community that he means what
he has said here.

Matthew has the right to put anything he wants on his site as long as it • is
within the TOS of his ISP.  We cannot be judge and jury in terms of • accepting
him based on the content of his site.  I realize that you probably take • his
statements about James a bit more personally than most of us do so I am • sure
that clouds your judgement a bit.

On the contrary, I don't believe my judgement is clouded by his disrespect
towards James.  I have my own opinions on the legacy of James Jessiman, and
though he and his work is dear to my heart, as well as his family, I can
separate myself and look at the attitude portrayed rather than just an
attack on something I've devoted a lot of time to.

I was put off originally by his JJ graphic and still am, but I am not
looking on this as a single-sided issue either.  Its terribly disrespectful
and unfortunate to everyone.

I'm merely saying that the attitudes on Lugnet that he currently holds
should be consistent with his site, and we can use that as a meter to see
his true condition.

We should not feel obligated to like everyone in the community.  That's • just
not a reasonable wish in any community and heck what fun would it be if
everyone agreed with everyone else on every issue.

Yup, I agree.  And yes, there are people here in Lugnet who I do not like.
--

Tim Courtney - tim@zacktron.com

ICQ: 23951114 - AIM: TimCourtne