 Administrative / General / 8089
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 19:08:12 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Matthew Moulton writes:
But again that webpage is my home, if you don't like what's in my home don't
come knocking on my door to come in.  I let anyone come into my home, granted
I could put  up a password and only let certain people in but I like to let
anyone have a chance to come into my home and share with what I believe.  If
you don't share in what I believe why do you come to my home?

Just want to quickly address this one point.  A website is not private.  It is
not a home.  I do not need an invitation to come in, I can get there through
any one of a number of valid & common methods of using the internet.  No one
has to knock on your door to come in.  If you put your beliefs up to public
scrutiny(1), then you have to expect them to be scrutinized.

1: Having a publicly available website, and then bringing attention to it by
posting a link on a publicly accessable website (with, I might add, no
disclaimer or suggestion that people should share what you believe before
coming in) certainly counts.  If that's insufficient, how about this:

<excerpt from ISP Channel's "Service Features">
Personal Web Pages
With ISP Channel service you can not only take advantage of the web, but
actually become a part of it. Upon request, we will provide you with 10Mb of
personal web space on our server free of charge. Now you can create your own
personal or professional web pages for all the world to see.
<end excerpt.  Full document: http://www.ispchannel.com/HelpZone/Service >

All the world - Not "people who share my beliefs" or "people I invite".

James
Not addressing other issues - I've made my opinion known.