 Administrative / General / 8062
Re: My Stance
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 20 Oct 2000 16:11:47 GMT

Eric,

I think a not so slight difference between not liking someone, and
ridiculing him/her with ugly ways just because you don't like his/her
software. I don't like Ldraw much, I use LeoCAD from the very beginning,
and think it is superior to Ldraw but I'm OFFENDED by his ugly graphic,
and more by his pathetic comments about James.

And even if I had been offended by the web page, I find natural that
most of the people here including Mike would offended by it, since many
people here knows James personally, and he was a respected friend for
them. I'm sure you can already feel that a prophet and a president is
much more different than a friend that you personally know and respect.

Selçuk

Lorbaat wrote:

In lugnet.admin.general, Mike Stanley writes:

You're one of the few, trust me.  And in this instance I'd say the overly-nice
willingness of a few to make another misguided attempt to allow this person
disrupt our community is FAR outweighed by the offense and outrage of the many
who most certainly don't want daily reminders of the hatred and disrespect he
has shown for our community and for James.

So, what you're really saying isn't that you're worried that he'll disrupt the
community, but that you don't like his beliefs, so you don't want him here?
I'm sorry, I can't agree with that.  I just can't.  And I dare you to defend
that position without coming across as a thought policing thug.

Guess what?  I don't give a rat's ah, behind about James Jessiman.  To be
completely frank, I found the little button amusing, in a black humour sort of
way.  Any amusement I felt was quashed by Matt's overly in-your-face attitude
about it, however, and the amount I was upset about his stated purpose of
trying to hurt Lugnet as a community.

But, if you don't want him here because he has such a disrespect for James,
where do you plan to draw the line?  As I said, I really don't care about
James (other than the fact that I like his product, LDraw)- does that mean you
want to see me banned as well?

To take it to another level- personally, I think Kennedy was a lousy President,
who brought us closer to tactical nuclear exchange than we've ever been.  Does
that mean (assuming you love Kennedy) that you don't want me here?

Assuming you're a devout christian, and I said I really didn't care what a
carpenter who lived 2000 years ago said, would you want me gone?

I suspect the answer to the last few questions is no (at least, I hope so).  Do
you really think there's any difference between that and wanting to see Matt
gone just because he doesn't idolise the same person you do?  Just because he
has a belief, or says something that makes you angry?

I think, if you look at it that way, you'll relaise that *you're* the one who's
in the minority.

And your status in the community doesn't make your beliefs or thoughts any more
valid than Matt's.  The very fact that you'd try to use that as an argument for
why you're entitled to demand he be removed, just because you don't like what
he has to say, or what he thinks, is both exceedingly ironic, and proves his
point about exclusionary behaviour.  Think about *that* for a minute as well.

eric