 Administrative / General / 6341
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:19:58 GMT

In lugnet.admin.general, Ben Roller writes:

(Anyone else reading this -- if you think "!" is a terrible choice or have
another suggestion, please let us know!  We can certainly try out "*" if "!"
sends the wrong impression.)

I like + over *, but unless the !'s font is darker, it's worthless to me.  I
have fairly good eyes, but I can barely even see that the article is rated.

Ah, but that's the beauty of it! The font will be darker when the rating (or
recommendation) is higher; if the rating is low, you shouldn't even notice it.
A high-rated post will attract attention to itself; which is like a
recommendation-- the people recommending it (ie rating at higher) are helping
you notice it, etc.

I think it's great that way!

-Shiri