 Administrative / General / 6340
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 20:15:39 GMT

[...]
But then LDT gets spent on weird things. Look at how much of it was spent on
a password checker that over time due to repeated twiddling became so tuned

You talk as if you seem to know how much actual time was spent on it.  Elapsed
time is a crude indicator of development time.

Time is time, all I have to do is look at the number of posts about it to tell
that some time was spent on it, by you, by me, by others, regardless of how
much time was development time vs playing with it time vs loading up its DB.

I won't presume to estimate exactly how much time was spent but I doubt it was
less than a man day all told.

[...]
Ratings have been a big administrative waste of time so far. Time that I'd
rather see Todd spend on coding useful features or on building or on
sleeping, or on having fun with Suz. Or even on doing LDT for geeky, useless
but less divisive things like that password checker.

Sorry if you feel the password checker is useless.

Useless was a bit harsh, sorry... let's just call it less useful than quite a
few other things, and more useful than a few other things. And clearly you
enjoyed doing it and enjoyed that other people enjoyed playing with it. Nothing
wrong with geeking out on low priority things, after all. For if that were so,
all of us would be better served doing our real work 100% of the time instead
of enjoying our hobby, eh?

++Lar