 Administrative / General / 6296
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 21 Apr 2000 11:43:37 GMT

I believe there is a problem that has already been addressed by several
people, and that is that the ratings are too vague.  If everyone is rating
messages based on their own criteria, then we will never be able to use the
information that is being collected effectively.

I would suggest that above the ratings bar, that there could be a little blurb
regarding how messages in the current group should be rated.  For instance, in
Lego.Direct, the blurb could be, "How useful is this message to Brad Justus
and the team at Lego Direct?".  The same message could be cross posted to
another group and be rated by a different criteria in that group (and
therefore would have a different rating that would be relevent to that
group).  In each group, the rating blurb would be different.

Hmmm... I guess this would probably boil down to a one line summary of the T&C
for that group.  I'm not sure, but this could be food for thought.

Another possibility would be to have several categories of ratings, such
as "Overall Rating", "Relevance to Topic", "Usefulness to Group or Community"
and then have a rating selection for each, and average them.  That way, a
person could like the post, but mark it down for not being on-topic, and that
way, the posted can get some small amount of feedback as to why their post got
the rating that it did.

Just some random thoughts...
-Andy Lynch

All,

It seems at this point that the article rating feature -- intended to help --
is actually causing more harm than good to the community.  It's difficult to
gauge how much harm is being done when opinions are so varied, but it's clear
that something needs to be changed.