 Administrative / General / 6255
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 23:42:37 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Jeremy H. Sproat writes:
9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

LEGO sets, of course.

That could be a great application of a detailed rating system...  Multi-
dimensional too, not just a single number.

Websites and web pages, probably not.  e.g. I know my
web site is lacking in sparkle, and it'll stay that way -- if someone doesn't
like that, tough.  If someone wants to critique my web site *content*, then
let's *discuss* it.

In terms of websites, I was thinking more along the lines of you telling the
server what types of websites you liked best, and it would compare that with
what other people had said about what they liked best, and would present you
with predictions about or lists of sites you hadn't visited yet.  At present
there are well more than 500 fan-created LEGO pages (sites).

Composite collation of ratings would also help in building and maintaining
"cool links" lists which are currently created by hand by a number of people.
Imagine if you could get a "cool links" list tailored just for you, in addition
to lists prepared by hand or other impersonal composite machine-generated
lists.

--Todd