 Administrative / General / 6251
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 22:16:41 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

Todd Lehman wrote:
Specific personal questions:

1.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed to you unless you specifically requested (via some simple
setting) that they be displayed to you?

I mainly use the NNTP interface; my perception of the rating system wouldn't
change much.

2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

This sounds good.  Instead of trying to express one's personal feelings
publicly but anonymously, a rater's motive would instead be to give feedback
to the server only.  IOW, let's let someone express their opinion of my
message in a public reply.  I would definitely feel better about this.

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

I feel that something is needed, if for nothing else then for building the
Spotlight page.  Scrapping the rating system in favor of something else might
be good.

4.  Have you ever felt victimized by the rating system?  Have you posted
something which has obtained a low rating and felt uncomfortable or unhappy
about yourself or about LUGNET because of the low rating?  How often?

Yes.  Yes.  If someone disagrees with me and wants to let the world know, I at
least want to know who said it.  This kind of anonymous, public reply is wide
open for abuse.

5.  Have you ever felt victimized indirectly by seeing someone else's post
get a high rating?  How often?

Not really.

6.  Do you feel that the article rating system makes it easier for you or
harder for you to share your ideas?  And does this bother you?

It doesn't affect what I say before I hit the Send button.

7.  How does your initial reaction to the announcement of the article rating
system compare to your current opinion of it?

I am actually disappointed in how it's turned out.  I stopped rating messages
a while ago, largely due to the anonymity of the system, and the lack of
feedback.  If someone doesn't like what I said (or if they did), I'd like more
feedback than just a 30 or 70.

8.  Do you feel that it is too early, too late, or the right time to address
these issues?

Probably a little too late, but most likely just in time.

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

LEGO sets, of course.  Websites and web pages, probably not.  e.g. I know my
web site is lacking in sparkle, and it'll stay that way -- if someone doesn't
like that, tough.  If someone wants to critique my web site *content*, then
let's *discuss* it.

Cheers,
- jsproat

I think the mistake a lot of us make
  is thinking the state-appointed shrink is our friend.