 Administrative / General / 6239
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:09:15 GMT

I think I've already said just about everything I have to say on this topic :)
But if you're counting numbers...

Specific personal questions:

1.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed to you unless you specifically requested (via some simple
setting) that they be displayed to you?

I think being able to instantly see rated messages sitting next each other in a
group is likely to continue to cause bad feeling. But I'm unsure about your
question.. if you mean:

(i) How would I feel if users could flick a switch and default to the current
implementation? Then I don't think that would be a good idea.

(ii) How would I feel if users couldn't see messages in a group rated alongside
each other, but could see an individual posts rating by clicking on a "Show
Ratings" button from within the post itself? Then I think that would be great!

2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

I think it's useful, and interesting to be able to see an individual posts
marks.. but not by default - the user has to want to see it.

So I would feel worse.

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

Worse.

4.  Have you ever felt victimized by the rating system?  Have you posted
something which has obtained a low rating and felt uncomfortable or unhappy
about yourself or about LUGNET because of the low rating?  How often?

Once or twice.

5.  Have you ever felt victimized indirectly by seeing someone else's post
get a high rating?  How often?

I usually feel happy for someone if I see they've got a high rating.

6.  Do you feel that the article rating system makes it easier for you or
harder for you to share your ideas?  And does this bother you?

Probably easier once the tables and upper layers are in place. At the moment I
don't know how much stock people take from ratings to judge.

7.  How does your initial reaction to the announcement of the article rating
system compare to your current opinion of it?

No too much differently, some fears have come to life, others aren't as
widespread as I thought they might be. I still think it's a great idea, and
still looking forward to the upper layers :)

8.  Do you feel that it is too early, too late, or the right time to address
these issues?

Probably about the right time.

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

Well.. you could have made this a "how much do you agree with this statement"
questionairre :)  If people could 'propose' things, and let people vote on them
- community ideas. I'm sure the CAD groups could use something like that? If
members could set up such questionairres easily that would rock!

Richard