 Administrative / General / 6240
Re: What should be done about ratings
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 20:23:44 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Nicholas Allan writes:

Firstly, what is being rated?
  Good point.  I see a growing need for a "ratings HOW-TO" page.

Secondly, as I understand Lugnet Members can only rate posts;
  If just anyone can rate a message, what's to keep me from creating 100
accounts and rating my posts up to "100" for whatever reason?  Todd's taking
steps to verify existance of people to keep this from happening.

only those that have coughed up the necessary wonga
  I assume you mean money. ;)  The cost for lifetime membership is only $10.
That's not a lot of money by any account.  I pay that in a single month for
Internet access, and I get a lot more VALUE out of Lugnet. :)

but only with the following fundamental changes:

1 - That the ratings system criteria are clarified.
  I don't agree with your suggested implementation, but the idea is right on
the money.

2 - The current 1-100 system is abolished.  Instead a message can be rated
as 'Great' or just left alone as an average message.
  After about 100 messages got rated 'Great', those ratings would be,
for the most part, useless.

3 - Rating privileges are extended to non-members.
  Well, other than asking "Why become a member", there's the problem of
control of how often each person rate messages.

It is undemocratic!
  If everyone has to pay the same fee to vote (anywhere), is it still
undemocratic?

Just some thoughts,
Ben Roller