 Administrative / General / 6222
Re: Opinions wanted: article rating harmful? (was: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 20 Apr 2000 18:23:51 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.general, Todd Lehman writes:

Clearly, these are very strong feelings being expressed by people.  How many
others feel this way?  What would you like to see happen?  Post your thoughts
as a reply to this message (or reply privately if you prefer not to post your
thoughts publicly).

I, personally, like the rating system.  I do understand the emotion that I
attach to my posts, and while I know I don't always post something useful, it
does stab (a tiny bit) when I see it marked down...  So I guess I wouldn't want
to have it go away, but perhaps be less visible...

1.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed to you unless you specifically requested (via some simple
setting) that they be displayed to you?

that's probably a good idea - if someone wants nothing to do with the rating,
they could disable it alltogether.

2.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the numeric values of the ratings
were not displayed ever to anyone but collected and used by the server only
for internal calculations, hotlist generation, and personal recommendations
to you?

I think I'd like to be able to find out what my post (or any post, for that
matter) is rated in the community.

3.  How would you feel (better or worse) if the ratings were not even
collected and collated in the first place?  (i.e. the destruction of the
feature altogether)

no, I think this would be a bad idea.  I like the ratings, and I like the idea
of the spotlight being updated automaticlly...

4.  Have you ever felt victimized by the rating system?  Have you posted
something which has obtained a low rating and felt uncomfortable or unhappy
about yourself or about LUGNET because of the low rating?  How often?

well, someone rated my idea that "la la la" should be an html tag as a 0.
While it stung, I definitly agreed with it.

5.  Have you ever felt victimized indirectly by seeing someone else's post
get a high rating?  How often?

nope.

6.  Do you feel that the article rating system makes it easier for you or
harder for you to share your ideas?  And does this bother you?

nope, and I don't think it makes it easier or harder...

7.  How does your initial reaction to the announcement of the article rating
system compare to your current opinion of it?

heh, well, I didn't think of all the trouble it could cause...  I still like it.

8.  Do you feel that it is too early, too late, or the right time to address
these issues?

right time :)

9.  What other areas (besides news articles) can you imagine that a
collaborative ratings system would be most helpful to you?  LEGO sets?
Websites?  Individual web pages?  etc...

don't we already have that for web pages, at least in some form, in the CSotW?

anyway, what I think should be done:

* have an option to hide the whole rating system, like it was never there...
The scores, and the voting bar as well.

* perhaps hide the score of an article by default - you won't see it unless you
are activly looking for it.  If I post a useless post (IMO), I won't bother
looking at it's rating, since I know it's bad...

* possibly make the ratings invisible to anyone but the poster of that message
- though that will kinda defeat the purpose of showing other people cool
posts...

:)

Dan