 Administrative / General / 5813
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:37:47 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

I was thinking about this the other night a bit, and I think it could be made
to work.  If you're willing to have it assume that you'll read anything it
shows you, and you're willing to have a "mark unread" button, then that could
end up being a lot faster than having to explicitly mark things read one by
one.  (Kinda like the theory on setting a simple digital alarm clock -- one
fast-forward button and one slow-backward button.)

YES, I'll take a fast, possibly inaccurate way to mark read and a slow but
guaranteed accurate way to unmark read. I mark read a lot more than I unmark.

Say again?  (I remember the other subthread but what do yo umean by "to rate
nested all trees" and "upper bound on"?)

A "nested all" tree is what I just made up to mean what you get when you press
the "entire thread on one page/ nested  _all_ " url. Upper bound on ability is
that I suspect if you can wait it out to display a tree with 200 posts in it,
if you go through and rate all of them and press update ratings, it doesn't
work. I'm wondering if you have seen that behavior (it's hard to reproduce, you
need to be willing to re-rate a bumch of posts to see if it took)...

++Lar