 Administrative / General / 5814
Re: New feature: Article rating
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Fri, 31 Mar 2000 03:48:30 GMT
Highlighted:
! (details)

YES, I'll take a fast, possibly inaccurate way to mark read and a slow but
guaranteed accurate way to unmark read. I mark read a lot more than I
unmark.

Ah, YES!  That's the wording I was looking for!  Thank you -- well said!

Say again?  (I remember the other subthread but what do yo umean by "to rate
nested all trees" and "upper bound on"?)

A "nested all" tree is what I just made up to mean what you get when you
press the "entire thread on one page/ nested  _all_ " url.

OK, roger that.

Upper bound on ability is that I suspect if you can wait it out to display
a tree with 200 posts in it, if you go through and rate all of them and
press update ratings, it doesn't work.

OK, thanks for clarifying.

I'm wondering if you have seen that behavior (it's hard to reproduce, you
need to be willing to re-rate a bumch of posts to see if it took)...

That's odd.  No, I haven't seen it.  I wonder if it's overflowing some form
size or something in the browser?  Each "vote" is cast via a form field which
looks like this:

   RATE~lugnet.foo.bar.baz:1234=56

But 200 of those is still pretty small (definitely less than 10K).  Hmm.
And it's tough to imagine a browser limiting the number of fields to such
a low number as 200.

I wonder if it's confused in some worse way on the server.  When you've
noticed this happening, did it give any error page (bad) or did the changes
simply fail to take hold (worse)?  Have you noticed whether it was the latter
articles in the list or was it seemingly random?  TIA for any more info.

--Todd