 Administrative / General / 5767
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:29:07 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

A couple questions about its structure...I don't know if you can answer
these but it seems like you could maybe:  Without giving away any hints
about what it was, why did you think it was risky?

If I even say that I can't answer without giving a hint, that's a hint.

Therefore: I can't answer without either giving or not giving away hints
as to what it is. :-(

Bummer -- that makes me suspect that it really truly is a horrible password
then (as you surmised, and pointed out to your coworker).  Yet it passed,
which makes me nervous.

Welp, if you someday are able to convince your coworker that this particular
password was indeed bad, causing it to get abandoned, I'd love to know what
it was (if that still doesn't hurt your security), so I can see what its
flaw was/is and see if I'm missing something fundamental in the tests.

I can say this much. It's not your tests. It's the context.

Just like your tests give (hypothetically speaking) Lugnet123 a so so score
because Lugnet isn't a word, but we know that lugnet isn't a very good root for
a password to lugnet because that's the context.

helps?

++Lar