 Administrative / General / 5768
Re: Automated password appraisal (Re: New feature: Article rating)
Newsgroups:
lugnet.admin.general
Date:
Thu, 30 Mar 2000 23:29:10 GMT
Highlighted:
(details)

In lugnet.admin.general, Dan Boger writes:

As an aside, would you actually allow someone to brute-force hack into a
LUGNET account? Or disable the account for X hours automatically after Y
fails? If Y was 5 or something else low, then the possibility of brute-force
hacks is significantly reduced?

defenitly - disable for 30 minutes after 5 failed attempts, counting a
bad cookie as an attempt...

You could make it stricter I think, send out an email warning with a code# to
the member, and block access until they have replied. You could either use the
code# to automate unblocking the account, or as part of a manual check. The
code# would prevent the potential hacker from forging the members email
address. Mind you, if the hacker had hacked into the mail account, then they
could unblock it that way. The mail account would probably be easier to hack
into than LUGNET anyway ;-)

Richard